Alpe d'Huez Hotels

xover_runner
xover_runner Posts: 228
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning a trip for my 50th in June this year that will include climbing Alpe d'Huez. I'm going with my non cycling wife and wondering if anyone knows a nice bike friendly hotel where you can keep a bike secure (i'll be driving down with the bike) fairly close to the Alpe. My wife doesn't want a cycling type chalet and "being stuck with a load of cyclists" - each to their own. It's my 50th so money no object, what the hell. Been Googling this evening but not found much so far.

Also same question for Ventoux - hotels near Bedoin or the adjacent area

Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    On the road from the north leading to Sault there is/was a stunningingly positioned Logis de france hotel in a little village . It might be the one at Aurel.

But this was some years ago - so it may have been another hotel. Logis de france places are usually freindly,family run, not very expensive, sometimes in out of the way places and full of creaky floor board character and local charm!
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    http://www.hotel-ancolie.com/

This si the one that's been recommended to us for the MArmotte - not been there but suposed to be cycle friendly and very nice, 6km down the hill on Alpe d'huez
  • You could try the Chalet ribot which is situated on the 12th hairpin bend.
    Website is www.chaletribot.com
    Susan and Daniel are the hosts, and Susan is a FANTASTIC cook. We stayed there in 2006, and our stay in Bourg St Maurice in 2007 just didn't compare.
    Have a nice lounge to relax in as well. Plus coz you've got the car, your missus won't be stuck.
    Dan also has a well stocked bike garage, which is safe and secure.
    You won't be disappointed.
    Good luck.
    PS. Carry on up and over the Sarenne when you do the Alpe. It's a great ride, plus you'll have those hairpin bends to cycle up to get back to your chalet (unless the missus picks you up at the bottom).
    Cheers.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Thanks for that, just sent them an email enquiry. Website looks good.
  • Can't understand why I wrote about Sault - near Ventoux!! Thicky I am!
    But yes do the Sarenne bit too - it slovely - pretty and a nice 'challenge!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    We stayed at this place last year, a pleasant 10k warm up ride to Bedoin. If you fancy a bit of luxury it comes highly recommended. Not too pricey either in comparison to some of the other places we stayed in.

http://www.chateautalaud.com/
  • L'Oberland (04 76 80 24 24, oberland.hotel@wanadoo.fr)

Hilarious place. Cycling mad with jerseys hung on the front declaring cycling roots. Newspaper clippings of famous Tour incidents over the last 40 years or so. Comedy eccentric staff. Safe place to keep your bikes and plenty of parking. Very basic, but clean accommodation.
    Stayed there in June 2007 and it was cool. They have a pet rabbit whose best friend is a dog and the two chase each other around the back garden.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Anybody got any suggestions for a French Alps tour in July, places to stay etc. Will be driving out.
  • Try www.ecrinslodge.com . Although they cater for cyclist, they also attract, hikers, climbers and summer skiiers. Very nice food and a hot tub