Any "old" timers still here?

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited January 2008 in Road general
Doubt that this belongs in SI, but was my "home" for a long time, so....

Hi, davej as was returns. Not only was I never able to transfer from C+, but it still won't let me use my old e-mail address ("already registered"!).
After most of '07 on PTWs (still got 2 in garage), decided serious lack of fitness as I enter my sixtieth year demands some pedalling. Having only my bonded Ti Dynatech left, been checking prices: seem to have gone UP to me! So have re-bought my mate's '90s Univega atb (which has yo-yo'ed between us for a few years) and I'm OTR again.
Wonder how long it will take before I might contemplate a return to one gear....
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• wotcha :D welcome home.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Hi . Please remind me which dave you were . ie which part of the UK .
    bagpuss
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Hiya davej! Welcome back! 8)

Yeah, there are a few of us still around although SI isn't as active (like most of this place...) as it was in the C+ days.

There were a few users who had issues with their C+ user ids after migration but if you post something in the Bike Radar Office, the Admin will sort out your old id for you. HTH.

Eddy.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    ullo davej, there's still some loiterers here.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • meagain
    bagpusscp wrote:
    Hi . Please remind me which dave you were . ie which part of the UK .

Only ONE daveJ! But for clarity, Nottingham.

Hi chaps!
    d.j.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    meagain wrote:
    Not only was I never able to transfer from C+, but it still won't let me use my old e-mail address ("already registered"!).

Really? Drop me an email.
  • meagain
    Will do, but I think I pursued this with you at time of migration!
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    Hi Dave . Nice to have you back on the site .Paul in Derby . :)
    bagpuss
  • meagain
    Thank you, Paul!
    A mere 14 miles in the breeze this a.m. and I thought I was going to die...
    650 Suzis go a lot quicker with a lot less effort....
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    ......and I thought Concord was flying again...........
    bagpuss
  • meagain
    Concorde? Pah!
    Singles THAT big with a slightly questionable silencer make a REAL noise!

5JAN1.jpg
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    DROOL
    bagpuss
  • whilst we're on the subject of motorbikes, I've promised her that I woudn't restore any more bicycles. Which I read as: I'm allowed a motorbike project :lol:

I've been thinking a BSA Bantam. There's lots around, they're cheap, look quite simple and they don't go fast enough to do me any harm. Am I on the right track or should I look at something else?
  • meagain
    "they don't go fast enough to do me any harm."

Nor IMHO do they go (or stop) fast enough to keep you out of harm - unless you are able to stick strictly to VERY quiet and appropriate roads.

" Am I on the right track or should I look at something else?"

You'll gather that I would judge "no" and "yes"! If you want to go down the resto/old bike route, then I'd say look at min of a 250cc single (AMC, probably). My heart would go with such a bike, my head not. I did try a "modern" i.e. Indian 350 Enfield for a while, but even that was pretty damn slow in today's traffic. And I am NOT a fast rider.

Buy Classic Bike Guide to get a feel for prices - and some pretty good advice for "first classics".

Good luck!
    d.j.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    I've been thinking a BSA Bantam. There's lots around, they're cheap, look quite simple and they don't go fast enough to do me any harm. Am I on the right track or should I look at something else?
    My dad used to have a Bantam to commute on. He seemed to spend most of his time swearing at the damn thing when it wouldn't start! :shock:
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Which I read as: I'm allowed a motorbike project :lol:
    Remember: when you're told "you can do whatever you like", it doesn't actually mean that!!! :lol::lol::lol:
    I've been thinking a BSA Bantam.
    I'll prompt proto to have a look at this thread - he restored a Bantam a few years back. And he can enlighten you on the joys and realities of riding it too!

Great. A motorbike thread! We haven't had one of those in a while. 8)
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi davej Happy New Year!
    Nice to hear you're still around.
    I'm more of an irregular round here these days...cyclechat's my new "local" but there's a lot of good guys form the old days still hanging here.

Take care
    FF.

EddyS...Happy New Year to you also!

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    whilst we're on the subject of motorbikes, I've promised her that I woudn't restore any more bicycles. Which I read as: I'm allowed a motorbike project :lol:

Hi Eddy, FF et al ! :D

gavin, save yourself the bother and buy mine!!

Pictures, before and after. 1953 model in the ultra rare black.

[anorak]should be Mist Green, but black was an option in 53, cost £5 extra. Big barrel is from alater bike. Exhaust on 53 was flat or torpedo as shown. That's my story anyway[/anorak]

Be warned though that they are really terrible motorcycles, and if you've ridden more modern machinery the complete absence of brakes is likely to give you heart failure, broken bones or both.

PM me if you are serious about a restoration. I may be able to dissuade you. Only kidding, great bike to restore. Fun to do, fun to ride and always a conversation starter. Wherever you go someone will walk up and say something like "Blimey a Bantam, I learned to ride on one of these. Back in 63 my mate Dan on his Tiger Cub and I were ....................." A long and involved but amusing tale of bikes, birds and near death experiences will follow. Bantams - instant new friend magnet!

Bantam1.jpg

Bantam2.jpg
  • meagain
    "Hi davej Happy New Year! "

And to you FF - and thanks!

That Bantam is very pretty, proto! As to stories...".my mate Ed had one in the mid-60s and in fact I THINK it was probably the first m'bike I ever rode, on local fields. It was awful slow two aboard toiling up Lancashire Hill to the Navigation - or was that one of his later bikes....? Long, long, ago.... They don't make 'em like that any more - THANK G^%!"
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Good to see you back Dave.
  • meagain
    "Good to see you back Dave."

Thank you, Dickie! I look forward to drooling over your current resto-jobs in due course!

Coincidence department. Having scribed "As to stories...".my mate Ed had one in the mid-60s" above, about half an hour later I got first letter from said Ed in a few years. He's now a salesman at M'cr Harley Davidson in Stockport and simultaneously the 2nd most successful seller in the group AND the oldest employee! Tells me I NEED a Road King. Wonder what the discount is...
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Dave, if you look under bikes I no longer own, you will see a blue very rusty fixed wheel, this ended up green and was bought by Pete Beer here, a 48 Carlton, 71 Rotrax et al. I wish I'd never sold any of em really. Dont have any pics of the Surly yet.

http://pics-by-dickie.fotopic.net/list_collections.php

Next projects are a 66 Hetchins Experto Crede straight, gorgeous unknown 40s frame, 56 Holdsworth whirlwind road/path and a Raleigh twenty (f-kin thing) which is going to be way more trouble than its worth, but I've started so I'll finish...
  • meagain
    Memory refreshed! Bates THE nicest I still think. And the Farrell was excellent - and the Road Ace quite good!!
    Should you have a slightly-too-small for you trad fixed on the block any time, let me know!
    d.j.