any trails in the preston area

haynes1
haynes1 Posts: 156
edited May 2009 in MTB rides
dose anyone now of any trails in the preston area or some where close to preston

Comments

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    I think your closest would be either Rivington or the Trough Of Bowland. Not done the Trough, but there are some excellent routes around Rivington.

Also, the North Face trail at Grizedale is only an hour away.

I live near Blackpool where there is zero XC, so i know how you feel!!!

P
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    There are trails in the area but it's going to take a 'local' to show you around. I only know as I've read stuff posted on other MTB forums and it tends to be the cheeky trail' variety :lol:

There are trails up Longridge Fell (know as Kemble by the locals) and other stuff in that area (around Clitheroe). There's also Nicky Nook Garstang way, but again a lot of this is riding on paths other than bridleways. You might want to have a look at joining The Bogtotters, as they do rides at both of the places I mentioned above, as well as other places in the NW.

I always take my road bike whenever I return to Preston to visit my parents :roll:
  • haynes1
    haynes1 Posts: 156
    thanks for those i might go try them.
  • The lakes is only down the road, see forum below :wink:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    The Preston area is remarkably devoid of decent legal trails.

Head inland a bit towards Longridge, Alston and Ribchester, there's a few limited sections around there but nothing really exciting.

Again, Rivington is probably the best bet, or get on the train and head for Burnley/Todmorden/Hebden Bridge area.

Get yourself copies of the OS maps for the areas in question, and go to work on them with a highlighter pen, picking out all the bridleways and byways. Then link them up with road sections, get out and get pedalling!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • There are plenty of routes around Rvington. Log on to [url]www.mtb-instruction.co.uk and give Craig an email. I'm sure he'll email you some routes back if you ask him. He's a localguy from Leyland who runs skills courses up there :wink:[/url]
  • They are currently building some in gisburn forest.
    Up to 50km of singletrack and various others types of trails are being/waiting to be built!!

The development should be finished for this summer if everything goes to plan. What is needed though, is people's help! Labour is the main thing, to construct the trails and put the effort in. But also in word of mouth, to hype it up as much as possible and get a huge interest in the site.

In April ATR Cycles along with a Cafe and FREE bike wash will be open on site to offer the usual things you'd expect, including 'Imediate repairs' and 'hire bikes'!!

Please people lets put Gisburn Forest on the map and turn this amazing amount of potential into reality!!:thumbs:

For More info go to http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24782136080

Or call ATR Cycles on 01254 825896 :D

map.jpg
    MySpace
    All fur coat and no knickers....
  • Head to dunsop bridge, or chipping. And get on the bridleways around the trough. Loop round so you come down the mentally steep one on the side of a hill up the valley north of dunsop bridge.
  • ChunkTT
    ChunkTT Posts: 39
    edited February 2008
    Hiya mate, I live in Bamber Bridge and there is not a great deal close. Best bet is to get up to grizedale, the only thing decent local is rivington but having a look on that mtb-instruction site he also mentions darwen moors. Weve got some new guys with us this weekend so giving gisburn a whirl. Beleive it or not there are some routes around haigh hall, standish etc but you need some local knowledge for them ones.
  • ChunkTT wrote:
    Hiya mate, I live in Bamber Bridge and there is not a great deal close. Best bet is to get up to grizedale. Weve got some new guys with us this weekend so taking it easy and doing gisburn. Beleive it or not there are soem routes around haigh hall, standish etc but you need some local knowledge for them ones.

I used to work in Brig.

From penwortham myself. :)
    MySpace
  • Living on what was baxi and working near the adelphi, least an easy ride to work down the old railway. If you find any decent routes out local let me know :D
  • I used to work at the Vets next to the church on the main road.

Will do! :D
    MySpace
  • mccmarc
    mccmarc Posts: 57
    Hi

i would like to get in to some mountain biking but am not really aware of how to go about it

i live in hoghton near bamber bridge
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    ChunkTT wrote:
    Hiya mate, I live in Bamber Bridge and there is not a great deal close. Best bet is to get up to grizedale, the only thing decent local is rivington but having a look on that mtb-instruction site he also mentions darwen moors. Weve got some new guys with us this weekend so giving gisburn a whirl. Beleive it or not there are some routes around haigh hall, standish etc but you need some local knowledge for them ones.

Woop! another one near Brig :P Well, just up the hill in Clayton Brook.

The only trails I go on is Rivington and Belmont (could push 18 miles probably)

Lee Quarry (30 minute drive)

Gisburn Forrest (not been yet but its in plans for next week possibly)

Lakes (probably 40 minute on M6)

EDIT:: You could go for a SHORT ride in cuerden valley, but there is only like 500 meters offroad which is full of bloody walkers and dogs!.

@ Macmarc: send me a PM we might sort summat out some day!
  • I used to work in Brig too, and my sister still lives there!!!

There's not much round about; those mentioned above are about the best. You'll have to travel I'm afraid. I'm off to Hebden Bridge on Saturday, looking for half decent trails that won't be swamped with grockles.
    Frank Yates
  • mccmarc
    just been looking arounf there a lot routes up pendle gisburn and rivvy i notice

know it sounds daft but i got to get a bike first
  • mccmarc
    any ideas of atop bike for 250 tops
  • JxL
    mccmarc wrote:
    any ideas of atop bike for 250 tops

Yes, take a look at this:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=129

For £250 I haven't seen anything better. Decent V brakes and kit for the price.

Merlin are about 15 minutes from Bamber Bridge, just off A6 in Buckshaw Village.
  • mccmarc
    J ust been looking around and i have founs some routes around the pendle area also near places like abbey Village or Belmont

would any one have any more improved ideas of more decent routes
  • JxL
    mccmarc wrote:
    J ust been looking around and i have founs some routes around the pendle area also near places like abbey Village or Belmont

would any one have any more improved ideas of more decent routes

There are loads of routes around Rivington, from steep climbs to really fast descents. Send me a PM if you are up for riding, I am thinking about going there today about 6pm or so.