Tyre wear on turbo trainer horror

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Just got a Minoura VFS turbo trainer and used it for the first time last night.

I just did one hour and to my horror, my continental rear tyre was now like a slick. All tread had been taken off!!!

Is this because I have set the tyre too close to the drive roller?

There appears to be a tollorance of 1mm, the instructions say over or under compressing the rear tyre can cause premature tyre wear, does the tyre pressure have any effect as its around 110.

Many Thanks

Ian

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Turbos murder tyres, all the friction is on one nerrow strip along the centre and the tyre runs hot because it is in static air. Either buy a dedicated turbo tyre or use an old one that is past it's best.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Ask your buddies for any old tyres they have lying around. I have an old back wheel with a knackered tyre that I swap in when I use the turbo.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Well, the first time I used my turbo, I naively cranked down the tyre nice and hard - I stopped when the smell of burning rubber got a bit too much to bear - I had a black melted rubber stripe up my backside, and the roller was so hot I burned my fingers on it! :lol: (perhaps I should enter this in the Cycling Weekly embarassing stories section)

Anyhow, re-adjusting it so that it's only just short of slipping seems to do the trick - though like everyone else, I use an old bike with old tyres for turbo training now.

Heavymental - I take it you're not running an old chain-chewing cassette then?
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I have an old (bent) frame on my turbo trainer. I bought the very cheap wheel years ago brand new, with a tyre already fitted. It's never been used for anything else and the tyre is barely worn. The tyre doesn't even touch the roller until I'm sitting on the bike and it drives perfectly well. I think you have it set up too close.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    I have an old (bent) frame on my turbo trainer. I bought the very cheap wheel years ago brand new, with a tyre already fitted. It's never been used for anything else and the tyre is barely worn. The tyre doesn't even touch the roller until I'm sitting on the bike and it drives perfectly well. I think you have it set up too close.

Geoff

Don't you find it slips, especially if you out of the saddle and your weight is more towards the front wheel? Or shouldn't I be getting out of the saddle :?
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    JWSurrey wrote:
    Heavymental - I take it you're not running an old chain-chewing cassette then?

Nah, just a 11-21 (or something) cassette that I never use because its hilly around here. Although I might have a quick look at it now you mention it...
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    beckenham wrote:
    Geoff_SS wrote:

Geoff

Don't you find it slips, especially if you out of the saddle and your weight is more towards the front wheel? Or shouldn't I be getting out of the saddle :?

Why get out the saddle? I just concentrate on pedalling rate (around 100rpm) and heart rate. But then I only succumb to the Turbo torture for general fitness when I can't (or don't feel like) get out. I'm not racing any longer - not that I ever did much. I haven't checked, but the tyre is probably very close to the roller without actually touching.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • I use my 26" wheeled hybrid on my Elite Mag Lite trainer, this is its 3rd winter on the turbo and it's unaffected. I set it to 90psi and I've never had a problem. I've got Schwalbe Marathon Slicks fitted.

I've also got a set of wheels with the Continental turbo tyres for my road bike, but I tend not to use it on the turbo. As others have said, use a different tyre or even a spare wheel with a turbo tyre if you're having problems.

Dunedin
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    I bought a Continental turbo trainer tyre recently, only ridden with it on the turbo a couple of times so far, sure it's a lot quieter than a normal tyre, certainly please the neighbours, they must wonder what the hell I'm up to next door at times!! Was always worried about prematurely damaging my road tyres

Going to fix an old wheel that a mate was going to ditch because of a few broken spokes so need to get a cassette, will any compatible cassete do or will a cheaper one have a detrimental effect on the chain which is a fairly new Dura Ace one?
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • I'm the same as Ashley_R. Bought a continental training tyre.(about 15 quid from LBS).Just need a cheapy back wheel now.(Another bike buy to keep from the wife :lol: )
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg