Spring road cycling trip to Crete

rjwatts
rjwatts Posts: 10
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am planning a 3 week trip to cycle around the roads of Crete in April/May.
I have a GeoCenter map which indicates some major roads as 'for motorized vehicles only'!
Anybody have any further information on these?

Any other tips, 'must-see', 'avoid-these' points, etc would be very welcome.

I'm arriving by ferry into Heraklion.
I plan to stay in 4 or 5 different places. (not full time touring)
Flying out of Heraklion at the end.

Comments

• Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    You're going at a great time of year and for a perfect length of time.

I can't recommend maps, but if you take the standard 1:250,000 map of Greece and buy the local maps (these may only be in Greek but with a bigger map and with the road signs mostly in both languages you should be fine). The locally available maps and the ELPA maps in Greece will be slightly better, but you will find roads not marked on a map, or find a paved road where you expect a dirt track. And vice versa of course. Depending on your outlook on life this will be "amusing".

Generally speaking "for motorized vehicles only" tends to exclude people on donkeys. ~These will be dual carriageways, but not heavy traffic

I can recommend getting into a bit of the 20th century history to add an interesting angle to your journey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Crete

If you go the end of the wikipedia entry there is a very good Further Reading section which might prove interesting as research or as added reading fodder and guidance on your trip.

Additional places you might want to visit other than the usual suspects;

Elounda
    Elafonisi
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    I love Crete and agree with Special K. The top road Iraklion / Chania is a bit like a race track. Any off of it are great, although I've only covered them on a Honda 50. I haven't been to Elafonisi for over 10 years, there wasn't a road there when I went. (Honda 50's are great off road vehicles), but it was astounding. Try Palehora, it's really good out of season and the weather can be completely different from the North coast.
    Chania is nice for a few days and if you get to South West you won't go fr wrong.
    The last time we went in April, we bussed and just pointed to the rooms we wanted to stay in at hotels. There is also a really good procession / fireworks do at Hania for Easter
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    btw, Greek Easter is the same as Anglican and Catholic Easter this year: 23rd March.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan