SPD or Clipless?

BikerDan
BikerDan Posts: 188
edited June 2008 in XC and Enduro
I normally ride with flat pedals for trail riding but this year i'm hoping to do as many rounds of the SXC championship as i can so clip-in pedals wouldn't be a bad idea. However i am unsure whether to go for SPD or CrankBros style clipless pedals. I want something thats easy to get into and more importantly, somthing i can get out of quickly. I need somthing that can also be used with non cleated shoes i.e when not clipped in like a flat.

What do you guys recommend?? :D
Learn on a Hardtail or be crap forever!

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    SPD's you can wind the tension up on them while Cranks bros tend to have better mud sheding ablility as there not as much to them
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    I like my mallets because you can (crank bros) as they are simple to set (can have the clip angle and tightness adjusted) and have a flat pedal set around them so that you can ride unclipped if necessary.
  • BikerDan
    dhxcme wrote:
    I like my mallets because you can (crank bros) as they are simple to set (can have the clip angle and tightness adjusted) and have a flat pedal set around them so that you can ride unclipped if necessary.

Yeah ive been looking at mallets, how are they when riding unclipped? Can you still feel the clips under your feet?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd go spd, much better for learning on, plus CB have appalling reliability. Plus they fail with no warning and write themselves off.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Just to confuse issues - I'd go for Time clipless pedals. Great mud clearance, quite cheap, last quite well, they certainly outlasted my crank brothers!
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    crank bros are A1 if you look after them. Mallets are great. Yep you can feel the cage under your feet but that doesn't compromise grip.

I tried some SPDs fr about an hour and they where terrible. Difficult to get clipped in and out off, either too tight or like a wizards sleave.

Crank bros are dead easy to set the clip tension on just shim the cleats out till they feel right. never had any problems with mud. Sprayed up with WD40 regular they will last and last. People who i know who have had them go wrong all took them apart to clean them and couldn't get them back together properly.

If you get them, put them on and just wash and spray them wth wd you will not regret buying them.
  • stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    I use Time ATAC pedals, really good on the knees, like the crank bro's ones they get out of the way when you unclip meaning they ride like flats too and despite mother nature's best efforts they have not clogged so far this winter. Even with mud in them they work as the cage is very open.
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I haven't tried Shimano or Crank Bros systems, but Time's ATAC pedals really do work as well as everyone says - I've only managed to get too much mud on my shoe to clip in once.

And they're very cheap and comfy.
  • Have heard tales on here of egg beaters failing for no reason and skewering calfs etc. Think it was the Ti ones.

Find SPD's intuitive and reliable.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • BikerDan
    Are the cleats on SPD shoes the same as clipless ones?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    No, Shimano cleats (SPD) differ from Crank Bros cleats, which differ from Time cleats etc...
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    TIME TIME TIME.

All the Time, every Time.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • tomxc
    tomxc Posts: 139
    well depending on ya budget...if yuo want cheap id go for sum shimano pd-m520 SPD's,thats wat i ride...there pretty good.
    up, up, up, down, up, up, down, up, dowwwn...yep sounds good to me :)
    http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/ ... MG0201.jpg