shimano shoe sizing

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
I know sizing is different for every company, how do people find shimano shoes? Big, small, spot on?

I've ordered a pair of shimano shoes in a sale which are now out of stock. They have the next size up, but I'm not sure whether they will be too big or ok.

I wear a Euro 42 in normal shoes, but I have some shoes (mostly running shoes) that are 44's! The shimano shoes I ordered are 43, which are out of stock, but I think they still have the 44's, so may go for them.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,835
    Blimey, my experience of Shimano shoes is that they are definitely on the small side.

I am normally a size 10, which I think is a size 45, or 44.5, and I had to go for a 47, though a 46 would probably have done.

Check out the size guide on Wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360027339&n=Shimano%20R085%20Road%20Shoes

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • hammerite wrote:
    I know sizing is different for every company, how do people find shimano shoes? Big, small, spot on?

I've ordered a pair of shimano shoes in a sale which are now out of stock. They have the next size up, but I'm not sure whether they will be too big or ok.

I wear a Euro 42 in normal shoes, but I have some shoes (mostly running shoes) that are 44's! The shimano shoes I ordered are 43, which are out of stock, but I think they still have the 44's, so may go for them.

if you normally take 42's you should be using a 42 in Shimano shoes as fitting is the same as euro 42's. 44 will definitely be too big for you. Having worked for Shimano for 18yrs I have a pretty good idea with regards their shoe sizing!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,835
    Hi Peter,

it's good we have an authority from within present!

I found this shoe converion chart online, but admittedly I personally don't know how accurate it is:

http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/conchart.htm

On there, it states that a UK size 10, is equivalent to a EU 44.5

On the wiggle site, it states on the Shimano shoe sizing guide, that a UK size 10 equantes to a EU size 45.5.

Are Wiggle displaying incorrect information?
    Do they get these size charts direct from yourself, or do they generate them themselves?

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I have size 44 shimano shoes and size 43 shoes on right now, both are comfortable
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    hammerite wrote:

if you normally take 42's you should be using a 42 in Shimano shoes as fitting is the same as euro 42's. 44 will definitely be too big for you. Having worked for Shimano for 18yrs I have a pretty good idea with regards their shoe sizing!
    Well I managed to totally f**k up my feet in one ride wearing a pair of Shimano shoes the size that I normally wear so I beg to differ! See this thread on a another forum.

The guy that bought the shoes in question off me didn't have a problem with the sizing. As I pointed out in that thread, the problem is the width, not the length.

If like me you have broad feet , Shimano shoes will not fit you properly in your normal size. I'll rephrase that - I have tried 4 different types of Shimano shoe in my normal size over a period of years and all of them have been too narrow for me. I have to wear size 46 rather than 45.

If you have narrow feet, you probably will be okay choosing Shimano shoes in your normal size.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Shimano = small

Made for tiny japanese feet :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • keebo
    keebo Posts: 44
    My normal size is 45. I bought a pair of Shimano winter boots and at 46, they are perfect with a pair of merino wool socks; so I would say their sizing is pretty good
    Keebo,
    Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat!
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Someone take the crack-pipe away from the former Shimano employee please.

To some extent it will depend upon foot width - I have fairly wide feet and measure up an 8 on one foot and 7 1/2 on the other if i'm in a proper shoe shop (and get size 8/42 shoes when properly fitted for width). I've just had to return a pair of 43's as I just didn't have any space at all width-wise (they were fine for length though). Just go for the 44's unless you have narrow feet otherwise you might find that a thicker winter sock just won't be accommodated.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have narrow/normal width feet but I think I'll be able to get away with the 44's if they still have them in stock.

My gf has Shimano shoes, she says she finds them quite narrow, so just wanted to check that is the norm with them, or whether she's just got weird feet :lol: