Cycling Etiquette Question

McBain_v1
McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Okay, Sunday I was just out for a quick ride as I needed to be back in time to take down the Christmas decorations whilst mini-McBain was at his grand parents. Whilst on my ride I caught up to - and started talking to - another rider who said that he was going to the same cafe as me (Delamere Station). Whilst doing one of the minor climbs out of Frodsham (fairly long) we had to single up (traffic was heavy). I led and just climbed at my normal pace. When the climb was over, I looked back and the guy was nowhere to be seen. I slowed the pace right down and trickled along for half a mile or so but still no sign of him.

I had to be back by a certain time, and I wanted to complete my ride, so I shrugged and got pedalling.

Question is, having struck up a conversation with this guy ... should I have waited around for him to show up?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    McBain_v1 wrote:

Question is, having struck up a conversation with this guy ... should I have waited around for him to show up?

No
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    No, although you may well have expected to see him at the cafe stop later on anyway?
    Still breathing.....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If it was your ride buddy, yes, but not someone your 'just picked up' along the way.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Maybe he took a shortcut and beat you to the cafe :wink:
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    I was out on a ride with a mate when he noticed a slow puncture. His pump then bust so we flagged down a guy and pumped the tyre up and then headed home before the tyre went down again. The kindly guy who lent us his pump said he'd hitch a lift on our wheel for the way home, however we dropped him after a couple of minutes. We saw no need to wait for him. If you know him its different but if its just some random guy who can't stick the pace then just shrug and get on with it as you did. Sure he'd be fine about it. Just a shame you didn't get to bid him farewell.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Thanks - feel better now 8)

• McBain_v1 wrote:
    Thanks - feel better now 8)
    You complete bastard! Only kidding. :D By all means offer support if they are having mechanical trouble but if a non-invited rider jumps on and can't take the pace you want to ride at, well that's just tough. Onus is on them to keep up.
  • heavymental
    This is a very British thread isn't it! True though, unless you obviously bust a gut to drop them then I'm sure they'll just sigh, vow to get fitter and get on with their ride at their own pace. I think you can't go far wrong being polite and sensible when out riding. There's no hidden cycling etiquette really, just common sense.
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    let me get this right

you have a puncture and no means to recitfy this and get back on the road
    you flag a guy to stop to help you,he assists you to get back on your way and asks if he can use your wheel,you say yes then do one on him as the pace is too strong???

wow....who needs enemies eh!!
  • heavymental
    Haha...he didn't ask. He just said he'd tuck in and catch a lift. I didn't think it was our job to tow him home. We thanked him graciously when he lent us the pump and he wasn't bonking or anything. He'd of felt embarassed if we had to keep dropping back to him.
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    no ask no get then!
  • heavymental
    We did fair blast off a bit I suppose as we wanted to get home before the tyre went too flat again. He was alright though, he just had to accept he was a slow old timer! The truth hurts!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    stueyc wrote:
    let me get this right

you have a puncture and no means to recitfy this and get back on the road
    you flag a guy to stop to help you,he assists you to get back on your way and asks if he can use your wheel,you say yes then do one on him as the pace is too strong???

wow....who needs enemies eh!!
    That's just what I was thinking :?! Fair enough, wanting to get back before the slow puncture resulted in another flat tyre, but to just press on without explaining the situation or saying thanks...nice!

It would have been poetic justice for the tyre to go flat again, and not have that guy's pump handy. HeavyMental - why didn't you have a pump and a spare tube between you? I get fed up having to bail out people who can't be bothered to carry their own spares or tools. I have a mate who is really hard-hearted about this. He stops and tells the puncture victim to learn from the experience - "You won't make that mistake again!" - then he just rides off and leaves them stranded at the side of the road. The trouble is that it usually ends up with some unfortunate friend or partner being called to pick them up. Always manage to carry a phone, but not a spare tube and a mini-pump, eh!
  • heavymental
    I can't remember actually. I usually carry my own stuff so not sure why I didn't that particular day. Think I might have thought that as my mate had his pump I assumed he'd have his kit aswell. Or maybe he did have a tube but there was a problem with the rim that meant he punctured again. I forget now. Anyway, don't give me any stick, as I remember it we had a nice chat, were polite, didn't take long and just happened to drop him down the road. I think maybe you're picturing it differently. I certainly didn't feel guilty afterwards as I didn't feel I'd done anything wrong. Honestly...I'm not a rude fellow so I don't think I misjudged it. I'm joking with my "can't stick the pace" "slow old timer" talk by the way. I'm no ars and would have helped him out if it was needed but there's only so much we owed him. A cheery chat, plenty of apologies and humble thankyous was enough imo.

Anyway...I take my own stuff every time now so no worries about that lesson!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I'd say it was OK to not wait for the guy, I know how frustrating it can be not riding at your "normal" pace. I've been out on a few rides with friends who aren't as fit as I am and I usually end up leaving them behind, luckily tho they are OK for me to go ahead and I just use the time at the top of the hill to have a drink :-D

I actually find it more difficult sometimes, especially on a climb, to ride at a slower pace as my legs just want to go faster - it has become slightly easier now I have a new bike and extra low gears so I can comfortably travel at a slower speed without making it difficult to pedal!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    No don't worry about it mcbain. They'll be others mate.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Yesterday someone overtook me while I was having a break and deliberately accelerated away. So obviously I accelerated after him and for about half an hour I tailed him with us doing about 25mph. Alas he turned off, wouldn't have minded if he had said hello to me as he passed! :x
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Note to self:-

Add to cycling kit the following items.

1 x Small titanium tea pot
    2 x tea bags
    2 x 25ml cartons of milk
    500ml of water
    lightweight camping stove and canister
    lightweight kettle
    teaspoon
    2 cream slices
    8" diamater collapsing table
    7" diamater table mat
    6" diamater cake stand
    2 folding camping stools
    1 x ginormas rucksack to carry above in.
    5 Personal invitation cards

When overtaking or being overtaken by a cyclist call out "hallooo! may I proffer my card and ask you to join me for tea?"

Set out above items and partake of refreshments and beverages.

Make a comment about the weather and whatever the reply you must always say: "Well this is England old chap!"

Pack away items and leave.

Under no circumstances must you add to the above conversation.

It's the British way don't you know?
    Grayo59 must be one of those "toff" cyclists I hear so much about - damned civilised I say! 8)

• Speck
    Speck Posts: 53
    Grayo59 don't you carry a tow rope?
    He said, "You should be riding a Fixie" I replied, "But, Dad, I'm 62 years old".
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    There's a chap in my village who commutes on the same route as us. He's a sociable fellow and often eases himself alongside for a chat.

Trouble is, he's as fit as a whippet.

Consequently, while he pedals along passing the time of day and asking interesting open questions, whichever of us is his "buddy" for the ride ends up busting a gut, panting like a dog and trying to find one-syllable answers to his enquiries that don't sound rude.

You do get to work in record time, though.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)