no winter training so far (broken arm) please help

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

just as i had started my winter training i.e the 2nd day, i fell playing football and broke my arm which is now in cast until further notice. this is its 4th week of being on and hopefully it has heals but it was a major break and i broke bothe the main bones in my arm so i am more than likely going to need a fair bit of physio on it. if i say that it is good in middle of Feb maybe March will it be too late to get some decent winter training in?? Bearing in mind i have only just got into the sport and dont really have a scoobie doo on winter training anyway.

I hope i can take place in my first 10 mile tt this year but i wanted to have a good winters training to give a good base level of fitness.

can anyone help??
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    For olbvious reasons you are in no position to be riding a real bike..

However, have you considered a trainer? A house bike trainer (or a gym one) means yoou should be able to sit up nice and steady with 1 arm and pedal away without a great risk of hurting yourself.

However of course there is the downside that staring at a wall can be boring... Put it near a TV and play back a tour de france DVD.. you can pretend you are competing lol.

Good luck with a quick recovery.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    BAd luck Felix, sounds as though you need to get yourself down to a gym and have a blast or two on a spin bike (fixed wheel). Being a stationary bike you can hammer away on this and just use your good arm to support yourself.

Did you bust just your forearm bones (radius and ulna) or was it your upper bone (humerous) :?:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    BAd luck Felix, sounds as though you need to get yourself down to a gym and have a blast or two on a spin bike (fixed wheel). Being a stationary bike you can hammer away on this and just use your good arm to support yourself.

Did you bust just your forearm bones (radius and ulna) or was it your upper bone (humerous) :?:

no it was my lower forearm bones, both of the main bones down the arm. and no it definately wasnt very humorous. think i'll get myself to the gym 2morrow.

i've gotta turbo at home but i get bored within 15mins of being on it. might try the dvd idea.
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • maxbass
    maxbass Posts: 64
    to keep up any level of bike fitness it has to be a turbo, i broke my elbow last april and had a summer off the bike but i did keep spinning on the turbo. As above set the bike up in front of the tv and watch any cycling dvd or recorded races if you have sky+. Set up a fan to keep cool and put on some high tempo music. Keep it interesting by doing intervals i.e 1 min flat out every 5 mins (don't forget 10 min warm up / down easy spinning), aim to do 30 mins one day / 45 next then 1 hour - mix it up to staithe(?) off the boredom. I also found it better when the wife and kids were around to talk to.
    Turbos are boring and can be hard work but stick at it and keep your legs going . hope this helps
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Do the turbo, BUT you'll get sweaty and the cast will make your arm/hand itch, and probably get a bit manky..... :shock:

I broke a bone in my hand after a crash and was only in the cast for a couple of weeks, but kept up turbo sessions...... orrible - the cast got really itchy and a bit whiffy (just on my hand and wrist) but my skin was wrecked afterwards - the plaster had pulled all the moisture out of my skin...

Keep at it though - even if you take it easy, it's base miles, better than nothing, or as suggested, the gym - I was doing intensive sessions, so drop the intensity.
  • larmurf
    larmurf Posts: 110
    Find these articles on turbos very interesting as just ordered a Tacx 1680
    Six weeks over hip op. Doc told me on Monday I could start cycling anytime
    but wants me to stay on crutches for another 6 weeks. Seems a bit contradictory
    and I don't have enough confidence to tackle the road yet. So I have compromised
    with the turbo. Always wanted one anyway for wet stormy days when I couldn't get out Everyone says that they are deadly boring but can't be as bad as watching daytime television or sitting in the pub getting drunk and hearing the same old stories for the hundredth time
    Mahatma Gandhi was asked by a British journalist what he thought of Western civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea," he replied.