Changing to drops?

doubleclanger
doubleclanger Posts: 51
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
I currently use flat bars. After a couple of thousand miles last year, I've found that if I have the bars any lower than the saddle, I get shoulder pain after a couple of hours.

I'm looking to buy a new tourer with drops. Will I want the bars to be the same relative height?

I had an old cheapo Raleigh racer years ago and I was never comfortable on it until I changed to flats. Now I've convinced myself drops will be OK so long as the bike fits me.

But I wonder if being 15st & 5'10 means I'm too fat to be comfortable with drops?
my baby elephant would rather walk than be a Campag snob

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have being thinking of doing the opposite today because of a pain in my shoulders. I'd be wary of changing to drops as surely you will be lower and have a longer stretch. Here is the text of a message I have added to the 'Road Gear & Know-How' Forum earlier today:

"I have had a Dawes Audax for just over a year now, and I am still finding drops bars uncomfortable on any longish rides.

I did 40 miles today - my longest ride for a while - and for the last 10 to 15 miles my shoulders were hurting so much so that it spoiled the ride for me. I came to the conclusion during these painful miles that I really need to get back to straight bars.

I like the Dawes Audax bike itself and I was wondering how viable it is to convert it to a straight bar bike, in view of the fact that the drops have STI brake levers and gear shifters. Presumably all the current cabling and actual gears and brakes would remain and be connected to new brake and gear levers for straight handlebars??

I don't think I would see a significant drop in average speed as I spend most of my time on the hoods anyway. However comfort is more important than speed for me.

I am not that technically-minded so if it is possible I will be asking my LBS to do it for me. However firstly I would be interested to know if it is a particularly big job and how much it is likely to cost for components and labour."
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I don't use drops myself (so I offer the advice with some repidation) but I was told that the ideal should be to support your weight with your core muscles - there should be very little weight on the bars. if your shoulders are aching it might just be because there is too much pressure on them for too long.
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    I currently use flat bars. After a couple of thousand miles last year, I've found that if I have the bars any lower than the saddle, I get shoulder pain after a couple of hours.

I'm looking to buy a new tourer with drops. Will I want the bars to be the same relative height?

I had an old cheapo Raleigh racer years ago and I was never comfortable on it until I changed to flats. Now I've convinced myself drops will be OK so long as the bike fits me.

But I wonder if being 15st & 5'10 means I'm too fat to be comfortable with drops?

I'd recommend putting the top of the drops level with your saddle. I ride drops like that and I'm very comfortable. I seldom if ever get down on them fully, 99% of the time I ride on the hoods or with my hands on the top of the bars. The use barcon shifters so the ends of the bars have some use.
  • I currently use flat bars. After a couple of thousand miles last year, I've found that if I have the bars any lower than the saddle, I get shoulder pain after a couple of hours.

At one inch taller and sevenn stone heavier I don't think that you're too fat to be comfortable. I( ride a Dawes Galaxy and do around 3000 miles per year including 100 and 200km Audaxes including annual tours of around 800-1000 miles.

It's all a matter of getting the bike adjusted properly.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    I have drops on my tourer and my road machine but have them both set with the bars quite high. Often the mistake is to set the bike up so it looks like a road machine with an aggressive position. Don't be afraid to have loads of spacers (if AHead type) or a lot of stem showing if using a quill. Just mess about until you get it right.

I tend to ride on the hoods a lot because that is where I am comfortable but having the option of the drops when its windy or when playing silly buggers and chasing about is useful. Similarly you have the option of riding on the flat bits and sitting up straight for a rest. You definitely have a wider range of positions with drops, just make sure that the base height is right for most of your riding.

Also make sure that you have the bar width right, again there is a tendency to have too narrow a bar because it is more aero, it is also more uncomfortable.

My commuter is a flat bar beast and I would not want to do any more than say 40 miles on it, I once did 70 and won't do that again!

D :D
  • I have found recently that I prefer a more upright riding psn. I have just flipped the stem to give an acute rise to ther bars. I found I was riding on the hoods ALWAYS, & then with my hands flat on the arm rests of the aero bars, so I have flipped the stem to see how that feels for a while.

gb
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I'm your weight and height and have been comfortable on drops for years. I have them set quite high (saddle height) and spend most of my time on the hoods and curves. I like being able to change hand position on long rides and have even developed a rather cosy purchase on my ortlieb bar bag while touring. Previously I rode on flat bars but really hated windy days and chases, because you can't tuck in.

Unless you are a road-racer, you don't want to be too stretched out. Sometimes a shorter stem and/or adjusted saddle position can help, but the best would be to get fitted up properly in the first place.

In the end, it is what you feel comfortable with. Have you tried butterfly bars? (I think that is what they are called). They seem very popular with continental tourers.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    The bottom line is get a bike that fits you. I had owned three bikes that I thought (and was told by some nice people in Croydon that fitted me, 1 out of 3 is a poor average) By circumstance I was able to go to a fine frame builder who spent a good hour sorting out what frame size and shape I needed. We discussed components for 20 minutes, then he built me a bike that I just want to scream with joy every time I go on tour with. Pay the money to get measured by a reputable firm, you will never regret it. Paul Hewitt thank you once again.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I was have real problems with drops on my tourer as I thought my bars couldn't be raised any higher as stem was already at the top of my fork. I was thinking of changing to straight bars and I then found this adjustable stem:
    http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.ph ... 83s89p2637
    I bought it and for only £15 this seems to have solved my problems - see my mesasge just added to the Know-How forum:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... c&start=15
    It's certainly worth considering to raise your drop bars to a decent height.
  • Tedx
    Tedx Posts: 16
    Your bike is either the wrong size for you or you have the seat and bars adjusted incorectly.
  • I use flat bars with bar ends. I stretch out on the bar ends ofr long trips.

The bar ends are great.

I have drops on my road bike, but never use them, I could saw them off after the hoods and not notice it.