Elbow and hand pain

OllyUK
OllyUK Posts: 230
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
When out cycling for anything more than 10 or so miles on my road bike I start getting pains in my elbows and just under my thumb when I have my hands up near the top of the shifters. Its fine when Im in the drops.
The hand pain is in the bit where the thumb join the hand and the elbow pain is in the joint, I have no idea whats causing this, I dont know wheter its just because Im not used to the positioning (still being relativly new to road bikes) or whether its the stem length or top tube lenght.
The height of the frame seems almost perfect however, the reach feels just right for my legs, and Im not getting any back pains or anything.

Comments

• webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    Hi,

I am no fitting expert, but my "guess" would be that your bars may not be positioned properly. look at your bike from the side, and ensure that the bottom of your drop bars run parallel with the ground (correct me if I'm wrong people). It shouldn't be going numb because you're new to road bikes, they're going numb because your hands are holding the bars in a funny position.

Could also help to get someone to take a picture of you on your bike from the side, and showing the position your hands are in. Pictures are worth 1000 words :)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    webbhost wrote:
    ensure that the bottom of your drop bars run parallel with the ground (correct me if I'm wrong people).

I think that's a good start, but it's ok if the drops are aiming towards the rear hub aswell, it depends on what's comfortable.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I think the shape of bars varies far too much for any general rule like that to be helpful. Also, the man said his hands were painful, not numb.

I like to position my bars/shifters so that the top section (the transition from the bars to the hoods) is left with a nice, large flat section. However, by the sound of things i don't think that the problem is with your bars (although making them more comfortable may help). As you have said you are getting pain in your elbows too it may be caused by having too much weight on your arms.

This might sound odd, but strengthening your lower back muscles by doing some 'core strength' exercises may help as more of your weight will be supported by your back. I have found that strengthening my back has helped in making me much more comfortable on the bike.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • I am also getting pain in the elbow and wrist much like you but only in one arm (right). I had put this down to falling off my mountain bike the other day but now not so sure.
    The taking a picture thing sounds a good plan.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • OllyUK
    Garybee wrote:
    This might sound odd, but strengthening your lower back muscles by doing some 'core strength' exercises may help as more of your weight will be supported by your back. I have found that strengthening my back has helped in making me much more comfortable on the bike.

Thats a very good point, it feels as if my thumb/hand is almost getting fatigued wich would suggest that Im resting too much weight on them and that the elbow pain is a side effect of this, so will look into strengthening my lower back muscles, could you suggest any excercises for doing this...when I think of core strenght I just think sit ups, or are weights (squats? etc) required?

I was comparing my road bke to my mountain bike and noticed that the stem is actually shorter on my road bike (100mm) as opposed to the 110mm on my mtb, however the top tube lenght is longer on my road bike. As for the handlebars atm they are parralell with the ground but will have a tainker with them when I get some free time in daylight hours.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Core strength does include stomach muscles but it also includes the muscles that oppose them (and more). I do crunches for the muscles on the front, dorsal raises for the back and 'the plank' for the sides.

Dorsal raises are very simple. Lay on your front and raise your chest and legs off the floor slowly, hold for a couple of seconds, then slowly return to the start position. It's important not to rush lower back exercises.

That's just one example though, there are plenty of exercises for the lower back you can do. Most of which require no equipment at all.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I'm also new to a road bike, and now get pains in my elbows. It doesn't hurt when riding, but both elbows are a bit sore now generally.

Maybe its because I'm putting too much weight on my arms in a position that I'm not used to. I'll post a pic of my bike as well, all help appreciated!
  • OllyUK
    Garybee wrote:
    Core strength does include stomach muscles but it also includes the muscles that oppose them (and more). I do crunches for the muscles on the front, dorsal raises for the back and 'the plank' for the sides.

Dorsal raises are very simple. Lay on your front and raise your chest and legs off the floor slowly, hold for a couple of seconds, then slowly return to the start position. It's important not to rush lower back exercises.

That's just one example though, there are plenty of exercises for the lower back you can do. Most of which require no equipment at all.

Thakyou, Im familiair with dorsel raises and the plank (just didnt know they were called that), cheers for the info.
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    OllyUK wrote:
    Garybee wrote:

Thakyou, Im familiair with dorsel raises and the plank (just didnt know they were called that), cheers for the info.

Here's something I found and really should get round to doing more often >>Clickety Click<<

The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    Come to think of it, when I first switched to a road bike I now remember the pains you are referring to, and I too had them. I never get them now, it seemed to just be a matter of adampting to the new body position.

Id suggest keeping on the bike for a few weeks, see if it settles.

If it doesn't then you need to figure out what it was. Actually turns out when I first got my bike, the drops were not in correct position.