PUMP ADVICE

DUMBODOGGY
DUMBODOGGY Posts: 4
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
I am very new to road cycling and will tomorrow go on my first 'proper' ride on my new Trek.

I have been out today and purchased a pump as my tyres are around 50psi. I have been told that my tyres should be around 100psi. I originally bought a good handpump but that won't let me put in anymore than 50-60psi.

The new pump I have bought has the wider valve instead of the small narrow valve on my Trek. Is there anything I can do to make it fit or is it scrap?

Thanks Guys :D

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Your pump has a fitting for car type Shraedar valves and you need one for the Presta valves that are used on road bikes. Many pumps have a reversable head, see if it is possible to unscrew it and turn the rubber bit inside. If not then take it back and ask the shop to exchange it for another pump.

Riding with only 50psi in the tyres is asking for trouble, the bike will handle like a shopping trolly and you are likely to get a pinch punture.
  • Arr, that makes sense!!

definatly cant change the head so I wont be going out in the morning!! managed to squeez 70-80 psi in but not comfortble with that!!

Thanks for the advice... :)
  • DUMBODOGGY wrote:
    I am very new to road cycling and will tomorrow go on my first 'proper' ride on my new Trek.

I have been out today and purchased a pump as my tyres are around 50psi. I have been told that my tyres should be around 100psi. I originally bought a good handpump but that won't let me put in anymore than 50-60psi.

The new pump I have bought has the wider valve instead of the small narrow valve on my Trek. Is there anything I can do to make it fit or is it scrap?

Thanks Guys :D

You want to get yourself a track pump with a guage like this
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 0II%20Pump

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • the best thing you can do is have both a track pump and a small pump for punctures. 60psi will get you home but 100+ is best for riding. If you get a track pump you won't gbe knackered before you start either!

I ride at about 110-120. there's lattitude depending on how you 'feel' and the tyres/tubes that you're on.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • I'll be ordering one of those pumps!!!

Thanks for your helps chaps! Happy new year to you all :D
  • Haydn1
    Haydn1 Posts: 25
    You can get adpaters for a couple of quid that allow you use a schraeder (MTB) pump for presta valves, but I have never used them so I cannot vouch for their effectiveness.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I would have thought your local bike shop would sell the adapters Ive got one which came with a car foot pump works great, although dont use it any more as I now have track pumps at home and work. Its possible to find decent track pumps cheap at times, hence the reason I got a second one... My first track pump was around £30 my second one £3 from lidls, I actually think the lidls one is the better of the two....

For puncture repair on the run Ive got a co2 cartridge quick inflator rather than a mini pump.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi you can get adaptors for MTB to Race and i,ve used them too. They were fine and if you go down that road the best thing to do is leave the adaptor screwed on to one of the valves permanently, so you don,t have to carry it or worry about forgetting it. As i say i had them and they were fine. At the end of the day you are always better with a track pump with gauge for home use and a frame fit pump for on the road, training or commuting.Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura