cycling & running. Compatable?

songwriter
songwriter Posts: 109
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Can anyone tell me if these two are compatable? I've ruined my legs with a run two days ago for a ride tommorow. Is asking your legs to endure two stamina taking, thigh burning sports too much?

I'm still going out tomorrow cos i'm hard as nails :D

I thank you
The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer

Comments

• Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Plenty of triathletes and duathletes would say yes. A friend of mine who is a strong tester reckons running is not helpful to cycling. In my case i don't think it's helpful as when i do a lot of running i lose muscle mass in my legs and the cycling then suffers. I struggle to keep weight on though so it may not be the case for everyone.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • In short, yes, there are plenty of triathletes doing both.

But you have to be careful about muscle-balance injuries. I tried to play a friendly football game last year, not having played or run for a couple of years. Despite having done a full set of stretches, I pulled a thigh muscle inside 10 minutes. Apparently cycling makes your quads stronger than your hams, and it's easy to get this injury unless you tune your training properly. It's a very common injury amongst triathletes.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Very compatible, but don't do too much at first until your muscles adapt.. Increase by just 10% each time.

You'll have the fitness to do quite a fair distance, but your muscles will complain if you do to much at first.
  • I know someone who is a triathlete, road rider, and has recently given up rugby.
    i'm sure he'd disagree with those saying no
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    not at all.

I continually bang my legs against the pedals and get messed up in the spokes.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    It depends what you want to achieve I suppose. I have pretty much given up cycling during the winter months - except for cyclocross races - and concentrate almost entirely on offroad hill running (distances up to 10 miles). For short hard riding like cyclocross and XC mountain biking I think it is beneficial. However, If you are setting your sights on long distance rides, road racing, or sportives then perhaps it's not so useful.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Runnings a great way of maintaining cardio fitness and losing weight, but the key is to retain suppleness and muscular balance. Many cyclists have muscular imbalance, with tight hamstrings, relatively weak core muscles and so often running results in sore legs and lumbar region. It usually takes me a few weeks to get back into the 'stride' so to speak of running, but once into a regular routine I find I can keep both going pretty well. Mind you, I know that hitting the treadmill tomorrow night for 10km having done no running for a few weeks is gonna hurt.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    As a runner and a cyclist (OK new to cycling) I found that since cycling my PBs have been more achievable. Not sure whether running helps the cycling though apart from the obvious CV benefits.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Recently started to go to the gym again (in addition to cycle commuting and the occasional run).

I have naturally strong legs and feeble arms which cycling has exacerbated. When I'm in the gym I focus on core, upper body and leg curls (i.e., trying to work hams). Does this make sense or should I be doing any other leg resistance work to try to balance my legs?

J