stiff headset

bilsea159
bilsea159 Posts: 256
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
My headset seems to be playing me up, although the topic heading says stiff, it will allow movement of the wheel from side to side but not so easily as it should. Then on a run today it was tight going round a corner, and then appeared alamingly stiff when I was climbing a hill out of the saddle bobbing sideways slightly. There is rusty water runs, top and bottom. It is a Ahead design.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Probably time for a new headset if you get rusty water out of it! A service may get a bit more life out of it but probably not much.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Yep, sounds like it's time for a replacement. Don't worry though as they're fairly inexpensive and easy to fit. The only problem is usually trying to find the correct replacement as there are a few standards that appear very similar to each other.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Might be an lbs visit if you aren't sure of your headset dimensions. Grease it up to give a little more life, but replacement is recommended.
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    That happened with mine, however it balled down to the bearing cage has disintegrated.

I just replaced the old remaining bearings with new bearings (no cage, just filled it up), and I have had no problems since. This was in the summer.

Might need a new headset, but worth a try to see if it works.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    If it's come on gradually, it's most likely the bearings, but if it's stiffened up relatively suddenly it could be a problem with the fork crown/steerer tube join. If that fails, it's an instant face plant, so you should check it out asap.