yorkshire riding

chris_mbuk
chris_mbuk Posts: 40
edited February 2008 in MTB rides
anyone know hebden bridge way ? on the tops near a place called widdop ? anyone heard of that place, great place to go riding, its on the moorland too , its keighly area, anyone go riding up there?

Comments

• You'd have more luck on the Singletrackworld forum or even the On*One forum
  • cool can u link me to these plz ? ta.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    chris_mbuk wrote:
    anyone know hebden bridge way ? on the tops near a place called widdop ? anyone heard of that place, great place to go riding, its on the moorland too , its keighly area, anyone go riding up there?

Yes, know it like the back of my hand. I live about 4 miles from Widdop near the other end of Gorple Gate. The Calderdale area in general is my stamping ground, it's absolutely riddled with fantastic trails.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • kr1s
    kr1s Posts: 125
    Hey dave hill
    I live in huddersfield (near manchester border) and fancy some riding that way - do you know of any trail details online - or can you reccomend, I know an mbr route from hebdon out past hardcastle cragg and up to stoodly pike - any more? Cheers
    Trek Madone 5.2 08
    Specialized Tricross
    Scott Scale
    Twitter @ChrisBedford1
  • danhx
    danhx Posts: 165
    I'll second that request for Hebden routes!

Just got myself a bike (well, stole it off my brother who didnt use it any more) and am from the Halifax area. Would love to find some places to ride around hebden, especially if you know any less frequented by pedestrians and the "world revolves around me and my horse" crowd.
  • dave_hill
    Best thing to do is get yourself a copy of the OS map for the area (the best one is Explorer series, sheet number OL21) and get to it with a highlighter pen! Mark on all the bridleways and byways, then link 'em up with whatever road you need to use and get pedalling!

That's the way to explore, learn how to read a map and get to find the good trails!

Oh, and STAY OFF PUBLIC FOOTPATHS!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    danhx wrote:
    especially if you know any less frequented by pedestrians and the "world revolves around me and my horse" crowd.

Wrong attitude. Walkers and horseriders are as much entitled to use the trails as we are, if not more so (they were there first).

We have to put up with that. We also have to give way to them. Like anything else, you'll find that most walkers and equestrians are perfectly reasonable people if you are reasonable with them.

Don't go out on the trail with a bad case of attitude. It looks bad (as in bad meaning bad, not bad meaning good) and it gets MTBers a sh*tty name.

Granted you'll always get the odd one who's seen their own backside, but as with any group of people it only takes one...

There's plenty of room for us all to enjoy the country. Share and share alike. Rant over, off my soap-box now! :shock:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • danhx
    Pedestrians I have no problem with, but on my past 2 rides (on different routes) I've bumped into the same group of 3 horse riders. Now both my mum and sister ride, as did I upto the age of around 14, so generally know how to be around horses and how they can spook (I learnt the hard way and had the bruises to prove it). The first time I met them they gave me dirty looks even though I stopped and moved off the track more than 100m away from them, yet they still gave me dirty looks and no acknowledgement that I'd moved out the way. Second time was more awkward as I caught them up, they were all talking to each other and totally ignored me when I kindly asked them if I could pass (they were rideing 3 abreast along a road with banks both sides). So thats why I'm a little bitter at the moment about them... maybe its just this group; really would prefer to avoid them before I say something to them.

I'll always be curtious and kind to horse riders as I expect everyone to be to my mum/sister when they are out riding.
  • dave_hill
    danhx wrote:
    maybe its just this group; really would prefer to avoid them before I say something to them.

Sounds like you're right and as I said, it only takes one bad apple. Next time you meet them, try greeting them as normal. If they don't respond, respond to yourself so that they can hear. (Something like, "Morning, nice day for it!", "Yes, great, lovely day for a ride!". Leave it at that.). Either that or lie down across the track - a horse won't go past you!

If you approach them from behind, get off your bike, sling it over your shoulder and greet them as a walker. Then run past them, get back on and ride off.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • bloody hell only just looked at this post lol its gone far!!!, yeh i need to go widdop way alot more to find the new trails etc, ive only been a few times, i live in todmorden so its a hell of a way riding up there to get to it, stoodly is by far the greatest ride ive been on tbh, i go up there alot its great! or just below stoodly that goes to hebden thats another good un, if u get to the pike go straight down that big hill that takes u to that farmhouse at the bottom, thats mentle, i fell of my bike comin down there once, nearly got smacked in the face with my pedal as i went over the top hha, its really steep! try it out ;p
  • danhx
    Found one official route, is nearer Halifax but crosses Hebden road...

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/recreatio ... 754&ID=180

I unwittingly road part of this route after heading upto Warley Moor Reservior. However the part that I went along was only marked as a Footpath, but I decided to go along it anyway (was gated, and could see that land rovers etc had been along it inspecting the long stone lined ditch that runs along part of the route). If you bring up google earth over this area and zoom in there are loads of trails (well, what looks like. I'm going to start exploring them and putting my routes into Google earth as I find each one) all around the Ogden/Warley/Thornton and Dean Head Reserviors. Google earth is a fantastic tool, if you create an account you can map and save routes, and will give you distance etc, allow you to view multiple routes at once... and isnt as messy as marking routes all over an OS map, however in some places (like mid Wales) the resolution is crap :(

http://www.zen104275.zen.co.uk/windfarmhebdenroad.JPG
    Purple is the one I found, 4.5miles each way (but could easily be extended at serveral points). The red one I plotted in the Yorkshire water route.
  • just caught onto this post - im fairly new to the area (halifax) and am looking for a few riding buddies to hook up with and show me the areas best spots!!

If you can help out drop me a line

nice one

spen