Giant XTC C1 Vs Trek 8500

Babbs
Babbs Posts: 81
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
I have been offered both of these bikes at a few pounds difference from a shop. I have tried both and still cant decide i have looked on here and various places for reviews but cant find any. I would greatly appreciate any opinions any of you may have. They are a little over budget but what Missus me doesnt know will never hurt her!!! ooppps she can read this!! Main difference in the bikes was the brakes but when riding it i noticed very little difference in the two systems both where excellent. this is a really hard choice!!!

Comments

• Babbs
    any views or opinions out there, please give me some of your views because i cant choose between the two.
  • Well I've a Giant XTC composite, and have a few friends who have the ali framed XTCs, we all like them, but no idea how they compare to the Trek. I don't think either is a duff bike, which do you prefer to ride? And to look at, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)
    New '06 Giant XTC composite.(Black bike No.3)
    Specialized Allez double (Black bike No.2)
    Suzuki Sv650s (Black bike No.1)
    Subaru Legacy GT-B twin turbo (White not Black)
  • This is in MTB beginners but these are a lot of bike for a beginner. Really i would say these are XC race bikes. Not that it matters - buy what you like and good luck to you. I had a Trek 8000 a few years ago and found the geometry very stretched along the top tube in a butt up head down kind of way.

Really it depends what kind of riding you want to do.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • Babbs
    i have been riding for a while but just never really had enough time to do it properly. When looking at bikes, i have seen on here about people buying bikes and then spending lots nearly the whole cost of the bike again on upgrades. I would rather take what i think is a great deal on the bike now with good components knowing it meets all of the criteria i was looking for!!! hoping by spending more now im saving in the long run!
  • Well,

I'm a beginner wrt MTBs, and got my XTC composite for less than £700 with a set of shoes. I've found it does everything required of it so far, including small drop offs and can manage the terrain that my more experienced friends go over on their fulll sussers. I've found the riding position fine (but am used to be stretched out on triathlon bikes) so don't let this put you off, but it's no doubt worth trying before you buy.
    New '06 Giant XTC composite.(Black bike No.3)
    Specialized Allez double (Black bike No.2)
    Suzuki Sv650s (Black bike No.1)
    Subaru Legacy GT-B twin turbo (White not Black)