can you stand it?

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
edited January 2008 in Road general
Now that i've been riding my fixed for a week or so I have noticed several things but the most obvious is that I stand up a lot. I almost always sit down on 'normal' bikes. Does anyone else find this?
Oh and my calves are bloody killing me!! :D
http://twitter.com/mgalex
www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

Comments

• GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    No don't get out of the saddle much I find that the bike pedals itself or seems to help pedaling. I get less tired riding fixed and feel sluggish and less control with gears. I think with time you will get used to or out grow the gear you have now. I think your muscle are having a bit of a work out. Don't forget no coasting!
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i find the opposite too, i sit down much more. i ride with hands in the centre of the drops, covering the brake - it's a goldfinger. funniily enough, i had ten days off the bike over christmas, then when ig to back on te next day my thighs totally killed me. and i cycle a LOT.
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    I have now had along brake and the lack of cycling started to kill me now its over I am sure it will be hard work easing back into the commute.
  • peejay78
    i had a long brake, tried to replace it with a short tektro. bad idea. square peg, round hole.
  • I have found that when sitting, I use the horizontal and side of the bars. I can see why so many riders seem to use 'bull bars' and they do look cool. Does anyone recommend them? I suspect that they may restrict what I can use it for though

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • peejay78
    bullhorns can be functional for the very reasons you imply, most people, especially in london, don't use the drops that much at all.

as for 'looking cool', everywhere i look these days people have riser bars on their track frames.
  • pejay, what are 'riser' bars? I haven't realy used the drops myself though. My chain has started comming off every 1/2 mile and I need to sort that out.

teething trouble me thinks

• peejay78
    does your chain really come off all the time?

you're going to have a very nasty accident if not careful. i can't remember what you are riding, but i suspect that you might have to tension the chain. if it's too loose it will slip off, if it's too tight it will bind. you want it tight, with hardly any movement.
  • thanks peejay, I bought an on-one pompino, the wheel is a Mavic CXP33 the rear cog was 2nd hand, it's just a starting point for a work in progress so it's mish mash in some ways
    I am looking into getting some essential tools to take around and as I have nothing but an alun key, do you have any suggestions?

• rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    I would suggest purchasing an Allen key.

Also, check your chainline and chain tension.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • peejay78
    hmmm... i never, ever leave home without:

one of those small multi thread spanners (i guess you have track bolts) that encloses the bolt, or a small adjustable one.

you also need a multi-tool, i recommend the small topeak one with a chain tool on it.

tyre levers, repair kit, spare tube.
    pump.

that's about it.
  • well, the pumps, tubes leavers and allen keeys I had, I went to Halfords (soap and water in the mouth) and hot a set of decent spanners. loostened the nuts, tightened the chain, (pulled the wheel back), lined it up the best i could (more luck than judgement I think) and lined up the breaks. It's now smoother than before. I have to get the miles in to test it now.

Although it is a simple job, (if i can do it then a monkey can) but I am a little chuffed. In some respects I'm probably the least practically minded person I know. Before I got this bike I would have just taken it to the shop and not leart a thing.

• peejay78
    yes - tensioning the rear wheel is essential, and a key milestone in any fixed gear rider's career.

lest we forget, you don't have to do it on geared bikes.

i sort of walk mine back in the drops, using the the bit of the wheel nearest the seattube to get more leverage.