ADVICE NEEDED FOR NEW CYCLIST

muddy123
muddy123 Posts: 4
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
hi just decided to take up cycling due to being very unfit , i have been offered a bike its a muddyfox alu lazer in very good condition and its cheap , i have not got a clue about bikes so is this any good ???. im 24 years old and i am 15 stone how far would you sugest i cycle on a daily basis .
any advice would be very helpful cheers

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Couldn't comment in detail on the bike, but to be honest given Muddy Fox's rep over the last few years I'd give it a wide berth (which is a shame really 'cos they used to be pretty good back in the day).

Anyhoo, as to how far you need to be riding, it's dependent upon a number of things.

First off, can you give us a clue as to -

Why you've decided to start riding - is it to get fit? Loose some weight? Something different to do? Or a combination of all three?

What is your current situation fitness wise? You can be 24 and 15 stone and still be quite fit (if you're built like a brick outhouse and lift weights all day!!)

If you can go into a bit more detail we can offer advice accordingly!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Depends how cheap, cheap is. At least your not looking at any 'bargain' full sussers! If it fits and is cheap enough then its a start but you'll probably want to upgrade reasonably quickly once you catch the bug!!! As to daily distances thats entirely personal and as dave says variable depending on a number of things daylight being the biggest problem at the minute!
  • the reason i want to take up cycling is to improve my fitness and its a new challenge,as to my build im 6ft2 and have quite a big build just need to slim down slightly and get my fitness levels back up .the bikes only costing £50 and its like new so it will do me to start, i have probably got time to go cycling 3 to 4 times a week , there are a few nice places to go near me to so im looking forward to it,
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I'd probably just start with something like 5-10 miles until you get used to being on a bike, you don't want to be too far from home and your butt starts to hurt from being unused to being on a bike saddle.

Then you can increase it as your endurance and fitness improve.
  • thanks for the advice guys , did 11 miles today in the pooring rain i really need to get some siutable clothing but not sure what i need , bike seems very good at the moment to . :D
  • OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    muddy123 wrote:
    thanks for the advice guys , did 11 miles today in the pooring rain i really need to get some siutable clothing but not sure what i need , bike seems very good at the moment to . :D

As for basic clothing Id recomend, a wicking base layer, a jersey, a lightweight waterproof jacket and some padded shorts/ undershorts.
  • dont worry about getting soaked your skin is waterproof :D:D:D
    only when you stare death in the face do you feel most alive