Cyclocross Bike For Commuting?

csd1uk
csd1uk Posts: 4
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all,

i have recently been more and more convinced to take up cycling properly now that i have settled into living in London. My background is mainly with mountain biking, generally forest trails etc, but since moving away from cornwall, my main chance to cycle is going to be on the road and commuting.

I have been looking at bikes for the last few weeks and read a lot of posts on these forums and i thought i was getting close to what bike to go for, and then i came across the cyclocross (specifically the Focus Mares). The main reason this came up other than a straight road bike is because i am used to MTBs and thought it may be more suitable for all weather commutes.

I am going to be using the bike mainly for commuting but i also want to use it for longer road rides as well (up to 90 mile rides on rare occasions). the questions i really have are would a cyclocross bike be suitable for long road rides, if per say i had a set of wheels with the cyclo cross set up for commuting (thought this would be better in the wet, and perhaps better for stop start of london) and then a set of wheels with a pure road set up for the longer rides?

or

would i benefit more from getting a pure road bike such as the focus cayo, Giant SCR 1.0 or the planet x and then getting used to commuting on it (i have heard of a lot of falls in damp conditions/diesel etc).

Sorry if this is a rambling post...i am not that good with words!! Its basically a what sort of bike would suit me best kind of post, and from that any pull towards which model and make of bike!

Comments

• Back in '96 my race frame took longer to be delivered than expected, so I started my early season race campaign on a Ti cyclo cross frame, just with some race wheels fitted in place of my cross wheels

Did me proud for the first few events, and as you say, with a spare set of wheels to change between, no reason why you can't get the versatility of one frame to suit a number of applications

So if thats the route you decide to take, I see no reason why it wouldn't suit you, after all, not everyone can afford to commit to different frames for different events (although at my peak I did have 9 frames for various 'excuses'!!!)
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    why not get a winter specific bike that has the clerance for mudguards?
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    There's decent value in buying a "winter" bike, that's more than capable of the longer rides you talk of.

Take a look at http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/list2.asp?D=X&Cat=RIBBLE and take your pick. I've used one of these frames for the last two years for commuting, light touring and audaxes.
  • csd1uk
    Thanks for the replies so far, its helping a lot. sorry for being a bit clueless when it come to this as its all new for me.

So what is the main difference between a "winter" bike and what would be a normal road bike?

Also are there any reasons not to get a cyclocross bike to be able to cope better with bumps, potholes etc, and provide a slightly more comfy ride? (wider tyres helping here!) I read that the focus mares is pretty much like a road racer anyway?
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    basically all i've managed to find differnet on a cross bike is that it has different brake better suited to mud and the obvious tyre bit. gearing aswell i suppose but thats neither here nor there with commuting in mind.

Winter/audax bikes tend to have clearance for mudguards but apart from that wil essentially be the same as a normal road bike.

You could still fit 28c tyres to most winter bikes which will give you as much comfort as you are going to get on a cold winter morningl
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I think the 'cross bike is a good idea. It's got clearance for mudguards, road geometry and reasonable gearing. It'll be able to do everything a 'winter' road bike can with the benefit that you can also take it off-road should you fancy trying cyclo-cross out.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • csd1uk
    it seems to be much of a muchness then?? with people recommending either? which type of bike do you think would be more suited to summer longer tours?

Is the main difference between a "summer" bike and a winter bike that it gives room for mudguards? If that is so i could be more suited getting the Giant SCR which is a road bike but with room for mudguards etc?
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    csd1uk wrote:
    it seems to be much of a muchness then?? with people recommending either? which type of bike do you think would be more suited to summer longer tours?

Is the main difference between a "summer" bike and a winter bike that it gives room for mudguards? If that is so i could be more suited getting the Giant SCR which is a road bike but with room for mudguards etc?

The Giant SCR not only has clearance for mudguards and racks etc, its als a damned comfortable ride, Ive got the SCR1.0 with carbon forks and seatpost and the "comfort" frame, beautiful ride, I was sold the first time I sat on a giant SCR (it was a 3.0 that sold me on the range :D ) it just fitted like a glove, I would really recommend trying to get a test ride on a bike before deciding anything. Im using my Giant SCR for winter use no problems at all and Devon roads arent the best maintained in the world...

When summer comes round Im planning on getting some lighter weight wheels and skinnier tyres for super fast commuting :lol: Will keep the current wheels and cassette etc for winter use.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    A cross bike will have a shallower head angle than a pure road bike. Makes it slower steering for more stability off road, where as a road bike will be much quicker steering. Not an issus, just something you'll get used to.

Things I'd look for are:

As the bike will be used for long rides does it have mounts for two bottle cages? I think the Focus cross only mounts one, many cross bikes don't have any.

As you'll be all weather commuting will it take full mudguards? You may not want to use guards, if you do make sure the mounts are on the fork as well as well as the frame.

Top tube length. Cross bikes tend to ridden smaller than their road equivilant. If you're tall you may find a cross bike won't be long enough.
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    If you want to race cyclocross then get a 'cross bike; otherwise get a winter training or touring bike. My cross bike is for racing cross first and foremost and can be used as a winter trainer if needs be but to be honest I'd rather have a cheap Ribble winter bike for that purpose. 'Cross bikes have a very specific geometry; do not normally have rack and mudguard mounts; and, in some cases, don't even have bottle cage mounts. Whilst mine (Planet X Uncle John) does have mudguard mounts, it is a real pain fitting them as it has bridgeless stays. The versatility of 'cross bikes is becoming an increasingly over exaggerated myth IMO. Or maybe it's that cyclocross frames are being redesigned to satisfy this new market to the point where they aren't really proper cross bikes at all anymore. Don't get a 'cross bike mate, it's not what you need; there are many more appropriate bikes on the market. My advice would be to get a decent road bike that has been designed to take mudguards, bottles and racks. There are plenty of good bikes out there.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    I would like to correct Jpembroke. my cyclecross bike ( Specialized Tricross) has mounts for bottle cages 2 off, racks and Mudguards
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    jpembroke,

contrary to what you say, a planet x uncle john is VERY versatile. I've got one and it has got mudguard mounts, rack mounts and bottle cage mounts - what's the problem? The only issue is the bridgeless chain stays but you can get a clip on bridge (from SKS I think) which fixes that problem very neatly. I use mine for commuting and the occasional long ride. I've never actually fitted cross tyres (although I do have some and have another set of wheels on order).

All that said, I;d agree with others who suggest a winter bike would be just as suitable unless you wnt to ride it off road.

worth pointing out to the OP that slicks are better than nobblies on road, even in winter

J