2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp - what to offer?

LazyBoycp
LazyBoycp Posts: 320
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
In the summer of 2006 I had my (6-week-old!) Specialized Roubaix Comp bike nicked. I claimed on the insurance and thought I'd never hear of it again. However, the police recently found 17 :shock: bikes in the garden shed of a lovely gentleman in Cheshire and mine was among them (they only knew it was mine because it had a Datatag on it). Obviously the bike now belongs to the insurance company, but they have said I can make them an offer if I want to buy it back off them.

The bike cost £1500 new and seems to be in reasonable shape, though I only saw it for a few seconds. However, it seems to have been stored in the shed for some time and the chain, pedals, brakes and cassette have become quite rusty and I'd want to replace them. Not sure if anything else would need done to make it usable, other than pumping up the tyres (which would probably need replaced too). Does anyone have any idea what would be a reasonable offer to make? I saw a similar bike on Ebay being sold in America where the owner said it was in excellent condition and would sell it immediately for about £780, so presumably I could offer quite a bit less than that. The policeman said I should offer the underwriters £100 and see what they say!

Any help greatly appreciated.

P.S. If anyone has had a bike stolen in the last few years from the Manchester area, it may be worth getting in touch with Northwich Police to see if your bike was found.

Comments

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    how much was your payout? Half of that would be my starting point
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the police are right - and perhaps being too generous - offer low and see what happens perhaps even £50 - who know what has happened to it and lets face it - norwich union (or whoever) don't want it - they just want to shift it and auctioning them off takes time and effort.
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    chunkytfg wrote:
    how much was your payout? Half of that would be my starting point

The payout would have been £1350, I think (there was a 10% excess). I wouldn't offer anywhere near half that - it would need a fair bit of work done, is 1.5 years old, and I don't really need it. May do as the Police and gkerr suggest and offer a really small amount.