finding a race

josd
josd Posts: 107
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
hey im a 17 yr old who started cycling as a cross training for running, and now i appear to be more into cycling rather than running
over the summer i logged some miles and did a few tours around me and did reasonably well. Along one of my rides, i started talking to someone who apparently does actual cycling races, and he told me i should probably start looking into local junior races if i wanted to move up to the next level. I have no idea where to even start looking into this...Ive never been on a cycling team, doing all my riding with my father early in the morning, or cycling to xc practice. could someone please tell me how the whole process works?
if it helps, i live in west chester, pa

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I live to the west of Chester, though we normally call it Wales here.
    josd wrote:
    if it helps, i live in west chester, pa
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • josd
    josd Posts: 107
    your not my pa either
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Find your local cycling club, and talk to them
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I presume you're talking West Chester, Pennsylvania? Find a decent local club - check out the USCF website for details of clubs and races in your area. Get yourself out on some club/group rides to see how you fare against other people of the same age - junior racing can be very competitive and it's highly unlikely that anyone without the experience of club / group riding is going to find the transition to racing very easy. I'm afraid I only have experience of racing in the UK, so don't have a great deal of knowledge how bike racing is organised in the US.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..