Not in the middle??

jellybellywmb
jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Silly Question, I have done about 200miles on my new SCR and have just noticed that the front wheel is not in the middle of the forks and quite close to one side.
Bike rides fine brakes do not catch,wheel runs true etc. Is this a major problem and should I take it back to the shop to be checked
"BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Undo the quick release, pop the wheel out and then back again as it may not be seated in the dropouts properly. If that doesn't cure it then take it back as it has been built off-centre.
  • Yeah tried that and turned the wheel the other way round but no difference.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    If your brakes are 'centered; seat the wheel in the dropouts, squeeze the brake-lever and now tighten the quick-release...this should center the wheel... :shock:
    Cajun
  • Nope, still no joy
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I think you need to take it back to be checked, if you have turned the wheel round and it is still not centered then either the wheel needs truing or the forks are not aligned correctly. They could prove it quickly by trying another wheel.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    can we see a picture - I am well intrigued by this!
  • I do have a picture but don't know how to post it as I am not to good at the old techy stuff can I e-mail you it??
  • orienteer
    orienteer Posts: 752
    The most important thing is that the front and rear wheels are aligned. This can be checked by applying a long straight-edge against both wheels. If they are not perfectly in line, extra drag will be created as the tyres will run at a "slip angle" to each other.
    Anyone seen my bearings?
  • gkerr4
    I do have a picture but don't know how to post it as I am not to good at the old techy stuff can I e-mail you it??

yes - email it across and I will post if for you - ny email is just my username @blueyonder.co.uk

ta

graham
  • Thanks, I have sent them across.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If turning the wheel around, then it sounds as though either the wheel isn't seating evenly in the drop-outs or worse still, the forks are askew. It won't actually slow you down but makes handling less good. To check that the wheels are seating correctly, fit the wheel into the fork and remove the QR - see if the ends of the axles are fully located on either size - it may be something as simple as extra lacquer in the fork tips preventing it seating firmly which can be simply scraped out. Then check wheel alignment - roll the bike in a straight line and check that the front and rear wheels are tracking perfectly - both lengthwise and in the vertical plane. Worth taking the bike back to the shop for a check if problem persists.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I just called the shop and they seem to think the wheel is dished wrong???
    They have to there credit said bring it back and they will sort it.

Monty ,now you mention it the handling may be suss, I notice on fast downhills 25mph+ that the bike wobbles at the back end and I have to slow down. I had put this down to getting used to skinny whells after riding a mountainn bike for so long.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If the wheel is still offset when you turn it around, then it can't be the dishing i.e. the rim not centred with the hub. Obviously, we're only speculating on the problem and your LBS are probably the only people in a position to do anything about it!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gkerr4
    and here's the pic...

I've never seen anything like this before!

IMG_3029.jpg
  • I am taking it to the shop this afternoon and will let you know what they say. I really don't think the wheel is dished wrong as it seems very even and can't see that you could make up that much space just using the spokes.
  • Do the fork ends look in good condition? Is there a metal insert on one side and not the other?

It's got to be the forks otherwise it would move to the other side when you flip the wheel.
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    The fork dropouts are unequal length.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If when you turn the wheel round the rim moves over to the other side of the forks then the wheel is dished wrong. If it stays at the same side then the forks are faulty. Either at the drop-out or they are bent.
  • Well it's all sorted. The guy said that the spokes on one side had not been tensioned and was making the rim fall to one side. He tightened them all and 10 mins later hey presto job done.and FOC (Apart from the pump,Bottle cage and Padded Bar Tape that caught my eye whilst waiting ):?
    Many Thanks for all the input,much appreciated.

Now I'm off to see how many seconds that will knock of my 15 mile loop time.
  • gkerr4
    Good - glad you got it sorted!
  • :D Feels like I am going backwards on the climbs at the moment!!