London to Brighton - Bike Recommendation

adam_monkey
adam_monkey Posts: 5
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all,
I've agreed to tackle the BHF London to Brighton charity ride this year. My only previous experience of distance road riding was the London Bikeathon in 2007 at 26 miles (30 miles less than the L to B). I currently own a Carrera Kraken mountain bike, and by the end of the slog round London it was proving to be a bit of a heavy lump.
I'm looking for advice regarding buying a bike to tackle long distance road cycling. My first consideration was a road bike, and I've been looking at the Focus Cayo Expert 2007 for sale on wiggle for £1000. However, a mate of mine has recommended a hybrid because road bikes can become uncomfortable at distance.
I dont have any experience with either road bikes or hybrids. All my experience has been off road and mountain biking.
I would be grateful for any thoughts any of you have regarding the right bike or type of bike for long distance road cycling.
Cheers,
Adam

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    edited January 2008
    I'd have thought a road bike would be more comfortable - loads more hand positions to help find a comfy posture. Also allows you to keep moving around.

You should be more aero which means more energy efficient and a bit quicker...
  • You could stick slicks on your Kracken and you would make it easily, I did it last year on a Giant XTC with slicks which is admittedly very light due to many upgrades.
    You see all sorts of bikes on this ride from super slick rodies to old men on bikes they have had since the year dot.
    I was huffing and puffing up Ditchling Beacon and was overtaken by a kid on a BMX!!!

One tip I will give is get the earliest start you can as the crowds are unbeleivable later on
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Forgot to say,

Buy a road bike anyway,you can never have too many bikes!!!
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • i agree with the idea of getting a road bike. After dragging my Kraken around London, I've come round to the idea that there are horses for courses! Interesting that people to the L to B on all sorts of bikes. I appreciate that whatever bike i eventually get, there's no substitute for putting in the hours of training before hand.
    Cheers for your comments, I welcome anything people still might want to add.
  • grace72
    grace72 Posts: 11
    hi
    i have just bought my first road bike i went for the pinnacle aeos from evans. i also have a specialized sirrus hybrid and out of the two i'd pick the aeos every time for comfort, still getting used to clipless pedals though
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Buy a road bike, if it fits correctly it's more comfortable than a straight bar hybrid or MTM because you can change your position.

One bike is good, two bikes is three times better 8)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Get a road bike, your mate is talking through is Ar$e! You do so all sorts of bikes on the L2B and it is amazing how many of them are falling apart. I'd also recommend that you don't buy a Road bike from Evans, IME Evans are next to useless with poorly trained and ill informed staff. If you are in London then try Condor, Cyclesurgery, Sigma sport or Pearson cycles. These shops have a better selection of bikes and most importantly have staff that know what they are talking about.

Enjoy the L2B, but be prepared to do a lot of walking if you get a late departure time!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Agreeing with jashburnham here,road bikes are anything but uncomfortable at distance. Quite the reverse. As previous posters have said there is a massive assortment of different bikes you see on the L-B, some you wouldn't believe would make it round, but they do.

The focus bikes are very good value for money and if you do get one, make sure it fits you properly! Good luck in your search.
  • I'm yet to hear anything good about Evans. In fact it's always really bad stuff I hear about them. I did order some lights from them before but they sent me the wrong type, so i had to send them back and they sent some more and they were broken. I phoned them up and they wanted me to send them back again, in the end i just went to Wiggle - theyve been superb all the way!

Wiggle are the only firm who do the Focus Cayo, on the negative side I cant try before I buy which at £1000 is a bit concerning, although ive only ever heard that this bike is 10/10 or 5/5 in reviews so I guess it's worth taking the chance.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    I've done the BHF L2B once and the hampton to hove ride twice now and everytime it has been on my carrera fury mountain bike with slicks. IT has never been a difficult ride as the traffic keep you fairly slow but regardless of what you ride if you are remotely fit it should be nice and easy to do.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I own a Focus (06 Variado Expert) which I use as my winter bike. I can't praise Focus enough, it's a great bike and I really don't think Focus can be beaten on value for money - although I hear good things about Planet X. Wiggle do let you return your Focus if you are not happy, which I guess is a bit of a hassle but at least the option is there. I've ridden my Focus in all weather and not had a single problem with it although I did upgrade the wheels and the awful saddle it came with!
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I know it's been hinted at before, but with a road bike fit is absolutely key. You're potentially in the same position for much longer periods that on an MTB and a bike that's too big or small will be a killer after 56 miles.
    Even if you do decide to go for the Cayo I'd strongly suggest you try a few others in a few different sizes to get a real feel for your size, or even get measured up.

Also, the L2B is great fun, but do start early or you'll be barely out of London come lunchtime!
  • My mate did it on a bmx and overtook loads of people going up the hills ;)

:lol:
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    At one time Brompton folder users use to be invited to team up and were offered a free set of Kelvar tyres for doing so by Brompton..Anyone planning going with a Brompton should check if this is still on..
    jc
  • beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    Hi all,
    I've agreed to tackle the BHF London to Brighton charity ride this year. My only previous experience of distance road riding was the London Bikeathon in 2007 at 26 miles (30 miles less than the L to B). I currently own a Carrera Kraken mountain bike, and by the end of the slog round London it was proving to be a bit of a heavy lump.
    I'm looking for advice regarding buying a bike to tackle long distance road cycling. My first consideration was a road bike, and I've been looking at the Focus Cayo Expert 2007 for sale on wiggle for £1000. However, a mate of mine has recommended a hybrid because road bikes can become uncomfortable at distance.
    I dont have any experience with either road bikes or hybrids. All my experience has been off road and mountain biking.
    I would be grateful for any thoughts any of you have regarding the right bike or type of bike for long distance road cycling.
    Cheers,
    Adam

This is scary. I did the L2B last year on a Kraken and went on to buy a Cayo Expert which I rode on the London ride :shock:

The Kraken was okay. As others have suggested put some slicks on as I did and leave early, as I didn't :?

Re: the Cayo Expert, I rode all the way into London for the Freewheel thing and back again (around 60 miles in all) and it was quite comfortable although I may change the saddle.

The difference between riding the Kraken and the Cayo is amazing, you'll love it :D
    You will notice the difference is the handling and acceleration :D:D
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • hey, that is scary...but what a great testimonial to have the two compared against each other. Cheers for that, it's given me the answer I was pretty much hoping for. Time for the Cayo me thinks, but I will go and try a few different bikes in the shop for size and positioning, see what I like the feel of. Thanks all!
  • beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    hey, that is scary...but what a great testimonial to have the two compared against each other. Cheers for that, it's given me the answer I was pretty much hoping for. Time for the Cayo me thinks, but I will go and try a few different bikes in the shop for size and positioning, see what I like the feel of. Thanks all!

I went for the XL. I used their size chart and it seemed pretty accurate. I'm 6 ft and it seems to fit well.

You'll be able to get the 2008 module as well which is even better value and last years :)

Enjoy and I'll see you on the start line of the L2B :D
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements