Passing!

sean65
sean65 Posts: 104
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all

I've noticed whilst lapping Richmond Park recently that some cyclist choose to pass leaving no more than a centimeter between us inspite of the road being wide enough to get a bus through.

Personally I feel it's intrusion into my space and dangerous as it's easy to sway a few centimeters while riding.

Is this acceptable or are these riders dickheads?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I must admit that sometimes I pass other cyclists closely - this is largely due to the fear that the other idiots (in cars) that infest the roads will hit me if I linger in the middle of the road too long.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    sean65 wrote:
    Hi all

I've noticed whilst lapping Richmond Park recently that some cyclist choose to pass leaving no more than a centimeter between us inspite of the road being wide enough to get a bus through.

Personally I feel it's intrusion into my space and dangerous as it's easy to sway a few centimeters while riding.

Sounds like they are being inconsiderate.

Maybe you need to go faster and avoid being overtaken :wink:
  • sean65 wrote:
    Hi all

As there is clearly no need to do so, you can only assume these cyclists are doing so as a gesture to demonstrate their thought that they are somehow superior, kind of boy racer mentality. Your description is better though :wink: .
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Same thing you see on ski slopes, where beginners are frightened when passed closely at speed by "superior" skiers who, er, don't seem to do the black runs.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    It,s very dangerous to overtake in such a way. IMO you should leave as much room as you can when overtaking without endangering yourself or other road users. When i overtake i ring my bell and get the attention of the rider(s) in front this ensures that on overtaking you don,t suddenly spook the rider(s)causing them to crash.Perhaps the people you mention are trying to (show off) and that is just irresponsible. Dickheads you said, sounds about right to me,Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    They're just not very good at overtaking.

What I usually do is to catch up with a cyclist steadily (not sprinting to catch up! The Euro cyclist must never be short of breath). Change into a large gear and keep my cadence at about 70, then give them a wide berth and overtake them at a steady speed of 2/3mph faster, then once you are sure that they are safely behind you and won't be put off by your incredible speed, you up the revs but stay in the same gear. This way they know how thoughtful you are for slowing down to avoid them :) 8)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    it does just sound like them being inconsiderate. I was passing a young lady on one of the Elephant and Castle roundabouts once, giving her plenty of room. She then decided she was going to change lanes and let out a shriek when she realized I was there - serves her right for not doing a shoulder check before moving over!

I have actually found personally that using my bike has made me more aware of my surroundings, not just when on my bike but also in the times I have to use my car. I make much better use of my mirrors now when changing position or pulling over as I know how annoying it is as both a cyclist and driver to have someone pull out in front of me!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • sean65 wrote:
    Hi all

I suspect the riders in question were wearing 'London Dynamo' kit. Is this correct?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Here in the states the common courtesy is to say "On your left" before coming around
    someone. Just to let them know. Not that this always happens, but that's the theory.

Dennis Noward
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I generally give people a cheery, "mornin", "afternoon" or "evenin" as I go to pass, warns them that some ones coming up from behind. and then I overtake leaving as much room as Id like people to leave if someone was to overtake me.

If im feeling particularly evil I may pass a red light jumper or a pavement rider closer and faster without a cheery greeting. But even then never that close, If an indicating arm would reach their handlebars its too close even for a deliberate close pass in my opinion.
  • It drives me mad when people do this.

There is a sharp bend on my commute where a fully kitted out guy has overtaken practically leaning over me a couple of times, I think he is an idiot because there is enough room if he wanted to take it, but obviously going a bit wider might add a few seconds to his journey and we can't have that when we're doing the Tour de Commute can we...

• I have actually found personally that using my bike has made me more aware of my surroundings, not just when on my bike but also in the times I have to use my car. I make much better use of my mirrors now when changing position or pulling over as I know how annoying it is as both a cyclist and driver to have someone pull out in front of me!

This is so true; I've found that time on the bike (& motorbike) has improved my awareness of what else is on the road considerably, and also opened my eyes to just how bad the general standard of driving is.

As to the close passing thing, it's happened to me a few times and it really p***es me off. I used to let rip with volleys of abuse but now prefer to try and stick with them for as long as possible - much more satisfying! Usually if someone passes you with an inch to spare going say 5mph faster, they've usually busted a gut to do so and soon slow down considerably anyway, you could even try a cheeky re-pass (giving plenty of room, naturally!)
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    dennisn wrote:
    Here in the states the common courtesy is to say "On your left" before coming around
    someone. Just to let them know. Not that this always happens, but that's the theory.

Dennis Noward

Just in case any of you UK-based readers are thinking of trying this, it might be better to stick to passing on the right :D
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    homercles wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Dennis Noward

Just in case any of you UK-based readers are thinking of trying this, it might be better to stick to passing on the right :D

Yeahhhhh, guess I sort of need to reword that post.

Dennis Noward
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2008
    You were passed by a dickhead...passing someone on a bike is no different than a driver passing someone in a car. [allowing plenty of space between vehicles]..common sense is not a virtue that we all share. If the situation is in a pelaton, it can be expected; but for other riding conditions,not only is it unnecessary but dangerous (IMHO)....if you had suddenly swerved to avoid a pothole, glass, etc. then you both would have crashed. Personally I announce ("Passing on the left....or Coming around") to avoid any idiotic moves by the person I'm passing....As mentioned in previous replies, generally there are times when riding alone, I don't 'go all out', so when I'm passed by someone who just stays about 10 yards in front, I click in and do my best to drop their @ss out of sight...let the thighs burn 8), knowing that all they wanted to do was 'just pass you'...(Adreneline is a terrible thing sometimes :twisted: )
    Cajun
  • sean65
    I think the general feeling here is that it's unnecessary to pass so closely.

Without exagerating, if I'd have removed my right hand from the bars to go to my jacket pocket, I'd have taken him down with my elbow.

Mmmm.... now there's an idea. :wink:
  • ademort
    Hi Guys and Gals i live in the Netherlands and have bells fitted to all my bikes, it helps enormousely when overtaking, i just wondered does anybody else on this thread have a bell.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • sean65
    ademort wrote:
    Hi Guys and Gals i live in the Netherlands and have bells fitted to all my bikes, it helps enormousely when overtaking, i just wondered does anybody else on this thread have a bell.

Hi Ademort

I used to work in Holland and the whole cycling set up is so much more practical. The UK could learn a lot from your system.

I think you'll find in the UK that most people think bells make their bikes look uncool so they don't have them. Silly but true.

I think there may be a legal requirement for shops to sell bikes with bells and reflectors but I'm not sure.
  • I believe that Richmond Park is over run with Dickheads, be they on bicycles, in cars, on horses or running around the woods with ski poles.

I avoid it like the plague, except on the odd occasion that I feel like intimidating a family out on a leisurely cycle around the Richmond wilderness!
    weight.png
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Hi Ademort , yes i have a bell and i always ring it when passing walkers and horse riders. I don't always use it with other cyclists as i assess what they are riding like before i get to them, eg i would ring before kids or a couple riding together, but probably not before a single who is going dead straight. Personally i think it is essential in many circumstances to give advanced warning of your presence.

Sean afaik you are right about dealers supplying bikes , but you can take the reflectors and bell off after delivery. I kept my bell on when i got my bike :)
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • ademort
    When i lived in the U.K. i never had a bell on any of my racing/training bikes, in fact if you had have told me to fit a bell i would have laughed in your face.However a bell on a bike here or anywhere makes sense. My bell is only 30mm in size and is fitted on the stem or bars of my bikes, it,s modern looking and very light, but most importantly get,s the attention of anybody as i approach them from behind. But going back to the original question if you overtake and leave little or no distance between you and the person(s) you are overtaking the chances of an accident are much greater. The term Dickheads springs to mind Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • sean65
    I believe that Richmond Park is over run with Dickheads, be they on bicycles, in cars, on horses or running around the woods with ski poles.

I avoid it like the plague, except on the odd occasion that I feel like intimidating a family out on a leisurely cycle around the Richmond wilderness!

Ski poles. LOL. I saw a woman yesterday with these. I assumed it was a Christmas present she wanted to try out. How funny.

I do agree about the park being full of idiots at the weekend. It's quite nice if you have some time off during the week. It's pretty empty, but you're bound to find a least one dog walker with a 15 foot lead.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    DavidTQ wrote:
    I generally give people a cheery, "mornin", "afternoon" or "evenin" as I go to pass, warns them that some ones coming up from behind. and then I overtake leaving as much room as Id like people to leave if someone was to overtake me.

If im feeling particularly evil I may pass a red light jumper or a pavement rider closer and faster without a cheery greeting. But even then never that close, If an indicating arm would reach their handlebars its too close even for a deliberate close pass in my opinion.

Same here.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • sean65 wrote:
    Hi all

I think I try to give people as much room as they look as if they need. Take it as a complement. Maybe you just look competent.
  • sean65
    Pistardo wrote:
    I think I try to give people as much room as they look as if they need.

Good answer. Maybe if I'd have decided to stay with him we would have been leaning on each others shoulders ala 'sprint finish'.
  • sean65 wrote:
    Pistardo wrote:
    I think I try to give people as much room as they look as if they need.

Good answer. Maybe if I'd have decided to stay with him we would have been leaning on each others shoulders ala 'sprint finish'.

Or you could weave erratically so they'd have to go wide to miss you. You'd get more miles in that way too.
  • sean65
    Pistardo wrote:

Or you could weave erratically so they'd have to go wide to miss you. You'd get more miles in that way too.

LOL. Good tactics for future reference.