Glen Fruin - unnamed road

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
I've been using my free time, over the holidays, to plot some longish rides on Bikely for later in the year.

I've just been plotting an out-and-back to the Rest and be Thankful, a hill I've been wanting to ride for some time now. Obviously, I'm trying to keep off of the major roads wherever possible.To miss out as much of the A82 as possible I was thinking of turning off onto the A817 towards Gairlochhead. Then I noticed an unnamed road that parallels it - does anyone know if it's rideable?

I'm not sure how to link onto any of the mapping stuff on the web, but on OS 56 the road starts just west of Arden at about 338 852 and runs northwest along Glen Fruin.
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I've not been up there in a while but it should be okay - it's the old road through Glen Fruin and is fully tarmaced but I don't know if it is well maintained now they've built the new road (the A817).

The new road was built to allow easier access for construction traffic through to Faslane and Coulport so if you avoid the rush hour it shouldn't be too bad.
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    this road is fine for cycling and offers a welcome tranquility from the mayhem of the A82
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    The road through Glen Fruin has a good couple of climbs and good tarmac the last time I did it was from the Garelochhead side to Luss.

If you want to stay off the A82 you could follow Dumbarton Road to Bowling then to Helensbrugh - Arrochar then on to the Rest and be Thankful.

Last year I did this route but when I started again from the Rest and be Thankful followed the road to Dunoon down Hells Glen taking the road to Lochgoilhead before Cairndow the once in Lochgoilhead back to the Rest and be Thankful then home the same way.

It worked out at 100miles thats why I did that route, plenty of good climbs and the climb up to the Rest and be Thankful is nothing to fear it looks worse than it is but from Lochgoilhead back round that breaks out a sweat :wink:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Thanks for the input, guys.

I was intending to cycle from home and back, but it turned out to be further than I wanted and there was far too much time spent in urban areas. So, using daowned's suggestions I've revised the route. I'll get the train to Dumbarton and start from there. If I've got anything left in the legs (or any legs left :? ) I can always cycle back.

Here's the route for anyone that's interested: Hells Glen Loop. At 139.4km it's about the distance I was planning. Hell's Glen looks...erm...interesting. It's a pity Bikely doesn't show contours - on the OS map they could have just shaded it in solid brown! I think the hairpins say it all.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill