track advice for a numpty!

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
My lovely gf has just told me that she has bought me a track taster session at Manchester Velo for my birthday at the end of the month (which given that we live about 150 miles away is pretty amazing!).

I'm a noobie anyway, I've hardly touched my bike for a month and have been a real lazy git!

I have a few of worries.

1. that I will look a real numpty, unfit and slow.
2. I've never riden a fixie.
3. Those banks look quite steep :D

Any advice on how to prepare beforehand? and on how to deal with track riding (I've read the Bikeradar beginner tips)? What should I expect of my first one hour session?

She also came up trumps and bought us tickets for the Friday of the World Track Champs.

*I actually think it might be a sneaky ploy for her to get a couple of trips to the Trafford Centre!

Comments

• hammerite
    Thanks for that! The gf has just informed me that she hasn't yet taken out any insurance for the session yet :lol:
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    You'll find useful comments and advice to broadly the same questions in this recent thread.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Yes that link has some info, the poster has not replied, hope he is ok :-)

You cannot really prepare, just go and do it and enjoy yourself.
    At the end of the day its only a wooden track :)
    I would say to wear base leyer under lon sleeved top, or short sleeved top with armwarmers.
    Also wear tights or shorts with leg warmers.
    If you are unfortunate enough to come off, the clothing will minimise injuries.

It gets easier the faster you go :)
  • varno
    varno Posts: 52
    The taster session will be perfect for you. Just build up from the bottom of the track and ease yourself higher. Remember its the same steepness at the bottom as at the top so doubt too daunted. Relax as much as possible especially your shoulders as you will find yourself going fatser and faster and blow up.

Never overlap a wheel in front, always look over your right shoulder when moving out,try to keep it smooth, dont stop pedalling!! Also dont be tempted to push a big gear early on, learn to pedal first..

JIm.

PS Enjoy it
  • hammerite
    Thanks for the tips guys much appreciated. The other thread is very useful too.

OWM - On some occassions I would probably say yes, but as I'm quite chuffed with her at the moment I'll have to turn you down :lol:

Do you know what gear they are likely to use on the track bikes? I was thinking of buying myself a turbo trainer anyway, but it's almost going to be a dead cert so I can spin away before the day without the threat of bad weather!
  • varno
    hammerite wrote:

OWM - On some occassions I would probably say yes, but as I'm quite chuffed with her at the moment I'll have to turn you down :lol:

Do you know what gear they are likely to use on the track bikes? I was thinking of buying myself a turbo trainer anyway, but it's almost going to be a dead cert so I can spin away before the day without the threat of bad weather!

Probably about 86, which is what i would recomend for a newby anyway...
  • Eddy S
    peejay78 wrote:
    god that's big.
    No, it isn't on a track. I ride 72 on the road but anything up to 92.6 on the track.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Manchester hire bikes have 50/16 which is 82" on 700*23 tyres. (84" if you use the 27" gear tables). This gear is very comfortable at 20 mph which is just cruising on the track.
    Best advice is to listen to the coach and do as he says. These guys have seen a lot of novices and don't want them damaging that nice new track surface so will look after you properly.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    varno wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

I rdie a 92 also, why is a 86 better for a newby? It does not make that difference. To be honest I dont tell the difference between 86 and 92.
    He just needs to keep going and not below 15 mph (which is easy even for a so called newby) to stay upright on bank.
    There are always lots of posts about newby's on here as if cycling is a highly difficult, technical sport :D
    Its quite simple really, pedal and hold handlebars and you probably wont go worng, on road or track.
    I did not have the luxury of a taster for my forst go, just turned up for a training session and some guys said "have you been on the bank before, if not you should not" .
    I aksed if they go up the bank, they said yes, so I replied " if you can so can I " :D
    Some seem to think it is a lot harder than it really is. I think thast why people enjoy it , they have a go and think " Oh it wants that hard" :-)
    Just watch the kids go round !!
  • Eddy S
    I rdie a 92 also, why is a 86 better for a newby? It does not make that difference.
    There’s a huge difference between 86 and 92, especially to someone who has never ridden an indoor track.

Someone new to the track, particularly if they’ve never ridden fixed, needs a gear that’s comfortable and easy to spin and that will give and maintain that speed that you mention easily to stay on the banking plus it’s much kinder on the legs for the 1st few sessions.

Too many times I’ve seen people new to track turn up at Newport with their own bike thinking that a big gears are the answer. Just because you and I can use and get on top of 92 (but that’s not what I use for warm-up), it’s really no good for a newcomer who will be put off by struggling to get over the gear and they’ll end up concentrating more on that then building confidence and enjoying the experience of being on the track.
  • varno
    varno wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

I rdie a 92 also, why is a 86 better for a newby? It does not make that difference. To be honest I dont tell the difference between 86 and 92.
    He just needs to keep going and not below 15 mph (which is easy even for a so called newby) to stay upright on bank.
    There are always lots of posts about newby's on here as if cycling is a highly difficult, technical sport :D
    Its quite simple really, pedal and hold handlebars and you probably wont go worng, on road or track.
    I did not have the luxury of a taster for my forst go, just turned up for a training session and some guys said "have you been on the bank before, if not you should not" .
    I aksed if they go up the bank, they said yes, so I replied " if you can so can I " :D
    Some seem to think it is a lot harder than it really is. I think thast why people enjoy it , they have a go and think " Oh it wants that hard" :-)

92 is a huge gear for someone that has never ridden the track let alone a fixed....much better to gear down and get the most out of the session and learn to pedal properly.

If the Manky bikes have 82 thats great..... I race on 90 and train on 86...
  • varno
    varno wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

92 is a huge gear for someone that has never ridden the track let alone a fixed....much better to gear down and get the most out of the session and learn to pedal properly.

If the Manky bikes have 82 thats great..... I race on 90 and train on 86...
  • John.T
    82" is plenty big enough for a beginer. I was lapping at over 30 mph behind a Derny on my last visit and will not be gearing up until later in the month and that depends on fitness improvements. Too higher gear will be hard work going up the banking when coming off the front especially if the string is long and you take a lap or two to get to the back.
  • Go for it. If you can ride a bike, you can ride the track. THe bankings look a lot steeperfrom the outside of the track than they do when you're riding it. The taster sessions are well run and most people are track novices. Just take it easy at first, especially if you haven't ridden fixed.

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on :wink:

Oh yes,..............And it's never cold, wet or windy on the track
  • hammerite
    Thanks for the positive responses everyone, feeling a lot more confident about it now. But will still be quite nervous on the day.
  • John.T
    Let us know how you get on.
  • varno
    aussie70 wrote:
    Go for it. If you can ride a bike, you can ride the track. THe bankings look a lot steeperfrom the outside of the track than they do when you're riding it. The taster sessions are well run and most people are track novices. Just take it easy at first, especially if you haven't ridden fixed.

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on :wink:

Oh yes,..............And it's never cold, wet or windy on the track

Youve never ridden Halesowen then!!?? :D
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    hammerite - You won't be the only newbie on the track.

My girlfriend also gave me tickets for a taster session at the Manchester Velo for Christmas. It will be my first time on the track to and I've never ridden a fixed gear apart from when I was eight and that bike had stabilisers! When are you going? My session is on Saturday 19th of Jan, maybe I'll see you there.
    It's all good.
  • hammerite
    Adamskii wrote:
    hammerite - You won't be the only newbie on the track.

My girlfriend also gave me tickets for a taster session at the Manchester Velo for Christmas. It will be my first time on the track to and I've never ridden a fixed gear apart from when I was eight and that bike had stabilisers! When are you going? My session is on Saturday 19th of Jan, maybe I'll see you there.

I'm going the week after adamski, not sure if it's the Saturday or Sunday session though, let us know how you get on!

She's thinking about taking the video camera. I'm starting to think this may be a money making ploy for her when she gets to send the footage of to "You've been framed"!
  • Eddy S
    hammerite wrote:
    She's thinking about taking the video camera. I'm starting to think this may be a money making ploy for her when she gets to send the footage of to "You've been framed"!
    This is how not to do it... :lol:

An oldie but a goodie so I make no apologies for this link being posted again 8)
  • hammerite
    Eddy S wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    This is how not to do it... :lol:

An oldie but a goodie so I make no apologies for this link being posted again 8)

:lol: