Help me choose a new fork...

Fanis
Fanis Posts: 101
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi
I like to change my old RST fork but i can't decide which one is better to replace the old,Marzochi Mx Pro 100mm ot Rock Shox 318/302 tora 85-130mm???I want it for XC use and a little AM with small jumps/drops.I have read more reviews both of them but i can't decide.Please help me.... :?:

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    They are pretty much as good as each other so your not going to get a bad fork. If your wanting to use it for AM get the tora. Just put in mind that if you are going to replace a ust whichnt I would expect to have over 100mm of travel the longer fork will affect the handling of the bike as the geometry will change as frames are designed for certain lengths of forks.
  • Can't go wrong with the tora. I just got the 302 with poplock a couple of days ago.
    Really plush adjustment works great and its good having the adjustable travel and rebound.
    Me like trials biking me do
  • Can't go wrong with the tora. I just got the 302 with poplock a couple of days ago.
    Really plush adjustment works great and its good having the adjustable travel and rebound.
    Me like trials biking me do
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Dan67 wrote:
    They are pretty much as good as each other so your not going to get a bad fork. If your wanting to use it for AM get the tora. Just put in mind that if you are going to replace a ust whichnt I would expect to have over 100mm of travel the longer fork will affect the handling of the bike as the geometry will change as frames are designed for certain lengths of forks.

But changing the travel is not necessarily a bad thing. With a U-Turn fork, you could keep it on 100mm most of th time, but shorten it for uphills and lengthen is for downhills as required.

What bike are the forks coming off? Seeing as it is RST, I would suspect a Hardrock, but it could be others.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Fanis
    Fanis Posts: 101
    Sorry i forgot to write that my bike is a hardtail with a fork RST 100mm
  • stevel
    stevel Posts: 7
    I had the Toras on the Fury I owned for a week. The forks were awesome. Never really got to test out the full travel as the bike broke but set somewhere around the centre they were very plush.

My new (non Fury :roll: ) bike had pretty average forks so I asked for the Toras as an upgrade. The LBS was happy to supply them but they suggested that the MX Pro would suit me and the bike more. As the price was the same I somewhat reluctantly went with the MX Pros. (100mm)

TBH they are just as good. Feel a bit better climbing but not enough to make much difference. Didn't get to test the Toras on a fast downhill but I'm sure they would have been just as good as the MX Pros which I have had the opportunity of trying. 8)

Both are great forks in terms of the ride they give.

Maybe go to your LBS and see what their view is based on your style of riding and the bike that they are being fitted to.

The forks I've got are the 08 version BTW