1967 components

Pete Beer
Pete Beer Posts: 604
edited January 2008 in Road general
I'm putting a 1967 track bike together for the road. I am trying to put it back with period components. I've got period sprints but I want to get a pair of clinchers. Should a '67 Mercian have 27" wheels? For every day I want to use a double rear fixed hub, can anyone suggest what to look out for. The same with rims and bars. I'm want to fit nice period bits.
Cheers chaps.........

Comments

• I'd say handlebar wise the most correct choice would be GB Ventoux or Maes patterns, or lovely chromed Titans.

For hubs I would go for BH AIrlites or large flange BH Continentals, 32/40 drilled and laced to Dunlop 27" Special Lightweights.
  • Don't agree about the wheels. Campag had made inroads by the late 1960s and the all alloy barrelled hubs were available from Campag at this stage. Also any self respecting cyclist wasn't using Dunlop steel rimsby this stage. Airlite hubs are ok but barrel centres are prone to rusting and a decent pair are hard to find with the bearing path not badly worn.

I would use either Weinmann or Milremo 27" alloy rims. For period everyday wheels Normandy/Maillard/Milremo large flange hubs or for that bit special Campag. The advantage of alloy rims is superior braking. I would also use Mafac or Weinmann centre pull brakes for the same reason, all correct for your period.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    FWIW, I'm with Pullman. My (ex) '65 Carlton road/path ran 27" alloy Weinmanns on I think Maillard L/F. Even in the '50s alloys would have been a priority upgrade on quite a mid-market bike for the serious rider (hence "old 26""" alloys on e.g. Lenton Sports).
    And nowt wrong with Weinmann C/Ps for either authenticity or stopping power - run them with V-brake blocks!).
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • WTF do I know about it? I was around at the time, but didn't reach my 1st birthday until the end of that year.... :lol:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "WTF do I know about it?"

Probably more than I. By '67 I was already past cycling and into more "interesting" stuff than bike parts. No doubt affected the memory...
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Just to put the cat amoungt you all. I do not think it matters .Any bike ridden by a hard by cyclist has always evolved .As old parts wore out ,later ones added .Trouble with old stuff {mainly alloy handle bars is metal fatigue on the clamp area} Old classic parts are great for show. I would think long and hard if the bike is going to be put through the mill on what ever bits you are going to use.I have loads of this stuff ,but if I was going to use it for a hard ride I would be secltive on parts used . I have 10 year old campag L/F hubs fail by cracking on the area around rhe spokes .I had ridden this one from new . So check all parts with care.......It can be along walk .........The old lags in my club{DMRC} are amazed that folk still want this stuff . I must be a right sucker.
    bagpuss