Ferry to Morooco

godders
godders Posts: 84
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
We are planning on catching the ferry from Spain to Ceuta or
Tangiers in Morocco. Has anyone else done this with a bike and can give
any advice, particularly getting to Morocco in the first place.

Thanks

Comments

• yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    It's completely straightforward. Ride on, ride off. Flash your passport at Ceuta/ Tangiers. I got an entry visa stamped on the (Moroccan) ferry. Otherwise its usually a short queue at the border.
    TIP! Wear a helmet in the north of Morocco. I was regularly the target of stone-throwing kids. Should ease off if you're not on your own. Fill your pockets with bon-bons and scatter a few when you see the kids heading for the roadside and stooping to pick up stones.
    Morocco is sublimely beautiful though so dont let a few niggles put you off.
  • Definitely easy, ride on ride off as the other poster said. The fast ferry that goes from Tarifa to Tangiers charges extra for bikes but one of the slower companies does not. I can't remember which company though or which port they went into. I can dig back in my notes if you like. We are preparing some cycling pages to Morocco based on our trip but they're not ready yet.

For what it's worth, we hardly ever (once maybe?) had stones thrown at us during two months in Morocco but begging for sweets / pens / money is common. We just started to joke with the kids, had a good time then. Please don't distribute sweets -- only encourages further begging!
    Round the world on our bicycles -- www.travellingtwo.com
  • I spent 6 weeks cycling around Morocco was stoned a few times including boys with slingshots, I got mobbed twice by teeneagers wanting Bon Bons and when I didnt have any they turned nasty. I would ask that you dont give sweets as puts the expectation in their minds that all tourists will and when they dont these little bastards can turn mean.

If you were mobbed, and their little hands are up and into your panniers bloody fast, then a handful of diversionary Bon bons scattered away from you might be a good idea.

I got alot of help from the long distance truck drivers as they would wave/honk horns as they passed me once or twice a day and would invite me for tea when they stop at the side of the road for afternoon prayer.

Also alot of travellers Ive met have stories of their own experiences buying Pot and then 10 minutes later being stopped by the Police and having to pay big fines... be careful.
    Slayer of monsters and rescuer of damsels in distress.