Annual insurance

Sandy Cheevie
Sandy Cheevie Posts: 39
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
I’ve got two bike rides coming up this year, in May I’m cycling from Birmingham to Greece and back and then in September a tour of Northern France.

I was thinking of getting an annual insurance to cover both as well as my main holiday.
Has anyone any recommendations

Comments

• I’ve got two bike rides coming up this year, in May I’m cycling from Birmingham to Greece and back and then in September a tour of Northern France.

I was thinking of getting an annual insurance to cover both as well as my main holiday.
    Has anyone any recommendations

www.moneysupermarket.com
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have used Insureandgo and Direct Travel Insurance. Both offer good annual cover with choices over amount of cover. I think I have paid between £65 and £75 for annual worldwide cover in the past (which undercuts most single trip policies offered by travel agents). Insureandgo offered good value for money, but were slightly less "attentive" in terms of service (I had specific queries and it took a couple of extra phone calls to get things clear - not a big problem). Direct Travel were word-perfect, service-wise.

I had to claim on the Direct Travel one, I broke my pelvis falling off the bike 2 weeks before my planned trip to Oz and they paid out for my fare and booked trips promptly and without hassle (over £1000). They also paid out for my broken digital SLR camera (some oik barged into me up the Empire State Building, NYC, and I bashed the lens apart on the railings).

Direct Travel were also good in my situation because unlike most companies, they will specifically cover named pre-existing medical conditions (and in my case with no extra premium) whereas many insurers will offer cover that excludes illness due to a pre-existing condition, even if you specify it. Most punters seem happy with this, but obviously they will get in deep water if they get ill with the very thing that is most likely to affect them! In the EU this will be less of an issue regarding treatment, however medical repatriation costs can be very high and would not be covered.

Another good aspect was the very wide range of sporting activities that were included, only a few of the most dangerous ones needed extra approval/premium, so all forms of cycling are probably fine, unless racing. I had cover for off-shore sailing.

I would purchase the annual cover as soon as you have made your first booking, as if you wait until nearer the travel date you may have an accident that stops you going (hope not, but it happened to me!) before the travel date and you will need cover at that time. (Sorry if that is obvious!).

Annual policies are great because they usually will cover even single overnight trips in the UK where accommodation has been booked.

It is well worth getting the European Health Insurance Card (replaces the old e111 form), as treatment will be more hassle free, and often insurers waive the excess if you use one.

Finally, I would agree with using Moneysupermarket but urge you to thoroughly check out what is on offer, quality of policy is ultimately more important than price, if you actually have to claim.
  • Thanks Alfablue for that.
    I have sorted out a policy now with Direct Travel Insurance.

Now to keep fit and ready for the cycle ride to Greece and back. :)

I cycled to Spain from Birmingham last summer and now feel I need a greater challenge.
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Not that I was asking, but cheers for the info, Alfa.

I find it really hard to make informed decisions about insurance as the proof of the pudding will always come at claim time. Thankfully it's been a long while since I had to do that. Most of the stuff people post just talks about value, coverage levels etc, so it's good to see someone talking about the claims experience.

Need to sort out my new annual travel policy as the current one runs out in the next few weeks. With skiing booked in Feb I'll certainly be giving Direct Travel a look.