Help! Bike Storage

Nuggs
Nuggs Posts: 1,804
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hi Folks

I've been trying to figure out how I could fit two bikes into my garage. Unfortunately it's rather small and filled with car (see pics below)...

Can it be done?

I'd really appreciate some ideas!

DSC_0004.sized.jpg

DSC_0005.sized.jpg

Comments

• webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    maybe you could make a mount on the ceiling?

Or, you could get rid of that devilish thing you call a "car" and use the garage for what garages SHOULD be used for... BIKES!
  • Nuggs
    webbhost wrote:
    maybe you could make a mount on the ceiling?
    I had thought of that. The only problem is that there don't appear to be any joists in a position which would allow easy access to the bikes. I'd also be petrified of the bikes falling onto the car (it's GRP so it just breaks rather than bends!).
    webbhost wrote:
    Or, you could get rid of that devilish thing you call a "car"
    Now that's just crazy talk :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Move the car out. Priorities, priorities are what we are talking here. Your bikes need
    room to breath. Not stuffed in a garage with some 4 wheel contraption. My god
    man, what were you thinking. I hope the bikes weren't traumatized too badly.
    You really need to be more caring.

Dennis Noward
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Do you climb in the car window?
    Rich
  • richa
    edited January 2008
    How about on left hand side on wall / ceilling?

What clearance do you have. It should'nt fall if mounted correctly?
    Rich
  • Nuggs
    RichA wrote:
    Do you climb in the car window?
    Not far off (especially as I'm 6'5") - it's only possible to get in and out with the car's window down or with it's roof off!

There's definitely a knack to it... :D
  • richa
    Something like this?
    Rich
  • Nuggs
    RichA wrote:
    Something like this?
    Thanks Rich - that could work. :)

I wonder if there's a rack allows you to mount two bikes in parallel?
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Whats the car?

This is my guess:

elan-rood.jpg

:D
  • Nuggs
    Nope. Two guesses left... :wink:
  • fizzwheel
    fizzwheel Posts: 4
    edited January 2008
    Nuggs wrote:

TVR ?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    [quote="dennisn"]Move the car out. Priorities, priorities are what we are talking here. Your bikes need
    room to breath. Not stuffed in a garage with some 4 wheel contraption. My god
    man, what were you thinking. I hope the bikes weren't traumatized too badly.
    You really need to be more caring.

Dennis Noward[/quote]

:D:D:D

By the way my guess is a Lotus Esprit.
  • Nuggs
    fizzwheel wrote:
    Nuggs wrote:

TVR ?
    Give the man a banana! It's a 1999 Chimaera 400.

Good work! :D

DSC_0117.sized.jpg
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    Aah - All is clear now.... So you actually have a second garage housing all the tools and bits that fell off the TVR :lol:
    Shame you can't just fit a bike rack to the car!
    You're not a pilot as well are you? (Interesting wall plaque).

You could always get some 2x4 timbers and screw them at 90 degrees in to multiple roof joists, then use them to hang your hooks from.

I picked up some padded hooks from B&Q for 9 quid each.
    I can't find a picture - they're about the size of handlebars in a cream/brown finish, with the 2 arms covered in pipe lagging - approx. 1/4 inch thick tubing.
    Can either be used for mounting the bike by the top tube, or as I do - hang them from the handlebars.
  • Nuggs
    OnTow wrote:
    Aah - All is clear now.... So you actually have a second garage housing all the tools and bits that fell off the TVR :lol:
    Cheeky monkey. The car's actually been very (and quite surprisingly) reliable. Never broken down except for a flat battery (which was 8 years old, so we'll let it off). *Touches as many wooden things as he can find*
    OnTow wrote:
    You're not a pilot as well are you? (Interesting wall plaque).
    Nope, I just saw the plaque and liked it :)
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Hang them upside down on ceiling hooks on the right hand side - you won't get in or out of the car if they're on the left. Solid hooks fitted on to a beam (existing or added) will hold the bikes by the wheels and it will be easy to hoist them up, hooking one wheel at a time if the car's out the garage. Failing that a JCB and a 20 ton skip will help you create a basement or an "oil pit" in which to place the bikes if you're enterprising enough.. Best of luck.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    If it was me I would fix some pulleys and use ropes so you can lift and lower bikes easily.
    Sure you could get some pulleys from B&Q.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I use a system like this :- http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... xProd=1642 But I got mine from lidls for £5 a while ago. Something like that might work for you, I place the hooks on the crossbar at the front and the rack at the back and that gets the bike right up onto the ceiling.

The kit mounts with rawl plugs so shouldnt be an issue finding joists etc.
  • Nuggs
    Thanks for all your help - it's really appreciated. :D

The problem with a pulley system is that it will be awkward to use with the car in situ. The bikes will be coming out more than the car, so ease of access is paramount.

I'm still thinking along the lines suggested by RichA, and wonder if I could get something like this this down the left hand side*?

Please keep the advice and suggestions coming. It would be great if I could fit them in the garage without having to resort to separate outdoor strorage (like the Trimetals bike shed)...

Thanks again!

*(the car parks in frontways, so the LHS is more convenient)
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Thanks v much for this post. Please be sure to post solution as will soon have exactly same problem myself.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    How about hanging one of the bikes on the inside of the door?

Now, any ideas how I can fit three bikes onto the half height stair well in my top-floor one bed flat? Getting up the stairs is tricky with two bikes, and the girlfriend is going to need some convincing when the third arrives later this month...
  • Nuggs
    edeverett wrote:

Now, any ideas how I can fit three bikes onto the half height stair well in my top-floor one bed flat? Getting up the stairs is tricky with two bikes, and the girlfriend is going to need some convincing when the third arrives later this month...

How about one of these?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Wow that is some task you have there, not helped by the intrusion of what I assume is stairs for the floor above possibly?

I would be inclined to put a bracket on the left hand side near the window, as already suggested, something like one of the first 2, so they can be folded back into the wall.

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/acc/cyclestands.html

Assuming one of your bikes is a fairly light/narrow roadbike, I would store one using a hook to hold the front wheel up, so the weight is resting on the backwheel, and I would put the hook into the intruding wall that is on the right hand side, and goes over the car - I'd take the bike down there on it's back wheel, and hook it's front wheel in - looks like there is enough room to do that.

There are examples further down that same page - Mottez, Delta etc.

I haven't used any of their products, just came up on a google, so just using them for illustrative purposes.

Alternatively if you can get 2 comfortably on one of the first style of brackets, problem over.

Just wanted to say, apologies if what I posted has already been mentioned, but due to wiggle having one of it's little 'technical difficulties tantrums' I am unable to see any of those links that have been posted - highly frustrating.

Would be very interested to see what route you take, complete with pics :D

Nice car by the way 8)

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    edeverett wrote:
    I was going to say that!

(Nice TVR, I like)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Nuggs
    Thanks again for all the help, chaps. :D

I reckon that a suggestion like Daniel B's could be a winner!

I saw this on the Tusk website, which at the moment looks like the best solution:

newl2.jpg

A 'Rack' mounted on the LH wall below a 'Mammoth' should do it. What do you think?

I just need to figure out what the black pipe on the left wall is and work out whether I can chop it out...