first 40miler

stueyc
stueyc Posts: 518
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
just getting ready to set off...only done about 20 before...any advice appreciated

Comments

• Go twice as fast and you'll be back in the same time.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • ram038
    ram038 Posts: 187
    stueyc wrote:
    just getting ready to set off...only done about 20 before...any advice appreciated

did my first 30 miler yesterday and it was not too difficult just pace yourself don't go off too quickly, good luck
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    Drink lots.

Tape over the speedo.

Enjoy the scenery!
    <font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    as people have said, pace yourself, take plenty of drink with you, make sure you have eaten (enough carbs with enough time before), and enjoy the ride!!!! :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • stueyc
    terrible wind and rain so only did 30....just under 2hrs 20 mins...avg approx 13.75mph
    123 avg bpm...max 172bpm
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    stueyc wrote:
    terrible wind and rain so only did 30....just under 2hrs 20 mins...avg approx 13.75mph
    123 avg bpm...max 172bpm

That 13.75 average is good considering the wind/rain/winter - I did an almost exact same avg over 40m last month and that was with the same wind/rain and generally greasy road surface.
  • stueyc
    Thanks

Really enjoyed even though weather well rough,first time over 20 mile so pretty pleased
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Lots if drinks, lots of carbs, its only 40 miles for gods sake not dave lloyds mega challenge :D
    One bottel is plenty two max as a reserve.
    Carbo loading for 40 miles is a bit ott.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Give yourself a place to stop at as something to look forward to--lunch, a cake stop, a cuppa....
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • oldwelshman
    I must have misread the post, lunch stop? It must be 100 miles not 40 :D
    Up to 60 miles, is in and out job with energy drink and couple of bananas or flapjacks.
    70 to 120 then fit in a cafe/lunch stop and have good breakfast 1 hour before leaving.
  • stueyc
    what kind of time/avg bpm/avg mph should i be looking for as a decent benchmark?
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Up to 60 miles, is in and out job with energy drink and couple of bananas or flapjacks.
    70 to 120 then fit in a cafe/lunch stop and have good breakfast 1 hour before leaving.

Good for you.

We all have to start somewhere and for most people it isnt 100mile jaunts.

This is the Beginners forum afterall :roll:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    stueyc wrote:
    what kind of time/avg bpm/avg mph should i be looking for as a decent benchmark?

does it matter? Just everytime you go for a ride try and enjoy it and with time you will naturally get faster and fitter
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • stueyc
    Good for you.

This is the Beginners forum afterall

Thankyou
  • oldwelshman
    chunkytfg wrote:

Good for you.

This is the Beginners forum afterall :roll:

And yoor point is?

All I was suggesting in this post is that some of the advice maybe be slightly over the top for a 40 mille ride, even for a beginner. Anyway it does not matter if your a beginner or not, the amount of enerygy used and hydration required would be the same for a steady ride.
    If the OP can do 20 miles I am pretty sure he would cope comfortably with a 40 without having a carboi meal before hand, lots of drinks energy bars and cafe stops :D
    Just my opinion.
    Also, who mentioned anything about "just 100 mile jaunts" ?
  • stueyc
    believe u mentioned the 100 mile oldwelshman
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Have yet to do a 40 miler - have done a few around 35 but always seem to end up back at home before 40. Weather at the weekend does not look particularly wonderful either. I think it makes sense to have something in your stomach before you start and at least a banana or biscuit to munch at some point. I usually take a map and stop for a minute or two to work out where i am. Strangely i never have a plan as to where i'm going before i set off.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    This time of year it is difficult, in my opinion, to do more than 25-30 miles.

This is because of the cold, bad light and slippery conditions.

Time avaliable is often a constraint too (Combined with bad light).

I'm aiming for two 20 mile rides over the weekends or a swim and 20 miler.

It works for me, I found that it takes less time to get up to 40+ milers in the spring

The main thing is to enjoy it, don't beat yourself up for doing 'just 30-35'
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • stueyc
    currently commuting to work..approx 20mile round trip..weather awful but still managing to enjoy

bit of a pain leaving bike out in rain/snow allday and the evening cleaning ritual a bit annoying