Focus bikes - Cayo and Variado Expert

scooterboy
scooterboy Posts: 843
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Im looking at a new (entry level) road bike having had a lay off from cycling for a couple of years, im no newbie but kit has moved on since my last foray into cycling and the trickle down effect seems to have hit the lower end stuff with some gusto recently.

I had originally set my mind on a 2008 Bianchi Via Nirone with either Tiagra or Sora as the frame looks worthy of future upgrades (in the contect of wheels mainly), but my eye has been caught by Focus bikes available through Wiggle. I could be tempted to one of the cheaper 2007 Cayo carbon/Ultegra/105 mix models although i have seen a 2007 Variado Expert with an amazing spec for the money - Almost full Ultegra/alloy frame/Fulcrum wheelset.

My biggest reluctance is sizing and the unknown -i know what size i want but im unsure how the Focus bikes measure in up in reality and obviously i cant try one before i buy - whereas with the Bianchi i would go the LBS route. Now i know spec wise the Focus variado expert beats the Via Nirone hands down but to me Focus are an unknown quanitity. Saying that the mags rave about them......

Initially i'd set out to spend £550ish but for the carbon/Ultegra 2007 Cayo i could be tempted to spend the £800.

Any comments/Advice would be well receieved!!

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    might be worth looking into the geometry of the focus bikes vs. ones you like and know fit.

If you test ride a bike with similar geometry - make specific note of the seattube length, equivalent (horizontal) top-tube length along with headset height (the second two measurements are more important than the seattube as the seatpost can easily be raised / lowered)

If you find a bike that you are comfy on, and the geometry is similar to the focus then you are sorted.

Also - I think wiggle were doing a "buy it and try it.." type offer where you could return it within a week if you didn't like it - that might give some comfort?

The cayo would make a better buy I think - full carbon frame and forks with a decent groupset (the 105 / ultegra mix is good set - don't think you will gain much by looking for full ultegra - remember that as a full groupset, ultegra is only about £70 more than 105 (£300 for 105 Vs. £375 for ultegra!)

The full carbon frame has some fairly entry level wheels, but a change of wheels as an upgrade would make a great bike!
  • Cheers for the reply - I had a look into the Geometry and im pretty sure the top tube lengths on the focus' are right for me, although i will probbkly drop a top tube size to get the right fit which is minimal at 2cm. I noticed Wiggles return policy on unridden bikes so its fairly risk free with the exception of the return carriage of £20, better that than stuck with the wrong size bike!!.

Ive not owned a full Carbon framed bike previously which is swaying me into consdiering the alloy frame Variado/Ultegra plus a decent set of (maybe handbuilt) wheels in the future for less money than the Cayo.
  • gkerr4
    I can't help thinking that if you buy the variado you will want to change for a carbon frame within a short period of time.

the carbon frame will be smoother to ride as it filters out some of the road buzz, it could be sitffer and lighter as well and of course - it looks the business!!!

that said, I've not seen how much the variado is - is it a lot less? - the cayo 2007 at £799 looks like a proper bargain to me.
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    I can't help thinking that if you buy the variado you will want to change for a carbon frame within a short period of time.

the carbon frame will be smoother to ride as it filters out some of the road buzz, it could be sitffer and lighter as well and of course - it looks the business!!!

that said, I've not seen how much the variado is - is it a lot less? - the cayo 2007 at £799 looks like a proper bargain to me.

Hmmm you might be right there!!

The Variado Expert/Ultegra is somthing like £569 with Fulcrum 7 wheelset, whilst the bog standard Variado is £469ish with full 105 and Shimano R550 wheelset.The expert has the better finishing kit too with Deda bars etc. So a discernable difference in price compared to the Cayo.

The problem with either is that you appear to be getting a lot of bike for your money only in different price brackets.
  • gkerr4
    The problem with either is that you appear to be getting a lot of bike for your money only in different price brackets

Yes - you are completely right there!

There is a bigger difference in price than I thought. I think with either that if you are happy with Focus as a brand and the 'fit' of the bike - then there is probably little better at those price points.

One other bike to mention, a couple of people on here have been buying the Giant SCR1.0 for under £500 - reduced from nearly £900 and comes with full (I think) 105 - which seemed a great bargain too.

I think if you can stretch to £800 then the cayo is your bike - otherwise there are a number of options around thr £500 mark - of which the variado is going to be a very good value buy.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I have a Focus Variado Expert which I now use as my winter bike. It's the 06 version and is superb. I'm 175cm and took a 54 frame. I upgraded the wheels and saddle on mine and have been delighted with it. I was going to sell it but can't bear to part from it! If you aren't desperate for a carbon frame, I'd go for the Variado and spend the difference on some decent wheels.
  • I know what you mean regards being 'happy' with Focus as a brand, they are a bit of an unknown compared to the likes of the big manufacturers. The Bianchi was really calling me so i might have a look at some of last years models too.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy a Giant by the way, having owned several OCR's over the years - i will check out the SCR 1.0

Thats great news on your Variado JASHBURNHAM, i must ask though - what replaced it in order for it to be downgraded to your winter bike??
  • il_principe
    scooterboy wrote:

Thats great news on your Variado JASHBURNHAM, i must ask though - what replaced it in order for it to be downgraded to your winter bike??

A Pinarello Prince :oops: Absolutely stonking bike!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58467471@N00/1773203112/
  • Beautiful!!! It does rather eclipse the Variado and Cayo!!

Nice pair you have there!!!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    What did you get in the end?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Varaido Expert at £569! Jeez, at those prices you are getting a fab bike for just £160 more than an Ultegra groupset alone! I would probably be tempted by the Cayo if I could afford one though :cry:
  • doyler78 wrote:

I plumped for the 2007 Cayo, just waiting for it now.....
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    scooterboy wrote:
    doyler78 wrote:

I plumped for the 2007 Cayo, just waiting for it now.....

Excellent stuff. Would have done that myself had they had 54cm one. Congrats on the bargain. I will probably end up getting the 2008 version either through cycle to work, if I can wrangle it, or at full cost to myself.

Can you please let us all know how you get on with it.
  • Thanks and will do.

I noticed Wiggle havent processed my order yet despite ordering it just after 8am on Friday morning. Anyone know if this is usual?

Only last time i ordered a bike thru wiggle - A Giant TCR Team Hybrid @ £565 they stiffed me and said they had sold out of my size - only offering me a £50 discount off the normal price on the bike when it came back into stock. Im sure if i'd had kicked up a fuss they were obliged to sell me the bike at the advertised price - Didnt bother tho - Ho Hum anyways!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    scooterboy wrote:
    I noticed Wiggle havent processed my order yet despite ordering it just after 8am on Friday morning. Anyone know if this is usual?

If it's a bike the order might take a bit longer to process. I find wiggle inconsistent, I ordered some things and they've take ages to dispatch the stuff and on other times I recieved the stuff next day.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • [hijack]

hi everyone - i was in the same quandry as mr. scooterboy and i've gone for the variado expert.

just one question, if i may butt in for a second - what upgrades should i get. specifically (i know it shouldn't be a concern) i find the chainset really quite ugly and would like to change it but without sacrificing any quality - does anyone have any recommendations of what i should be looking at?

cheers,

johnny

[/hijack]
  • Hi Johnny - no worries on the hijack front.

What made you go for the Variado over the Cayo? As if the value of the package isnt answer enough? The reason i went for the cayo over the variado expert was twofold - the overall package value of an almost full Ultegra groupset, carbon frame and mavic wheelset compared to the competition at nearly twice the price and secondly the thought that had i gone for the Variado expert i might have always wished i'd gone for the cayo for that little bit more initial outlay. I'd love to hear your feedback on the variado though.....
  • i went for the variado as i don't think i'll notice the difference to be honest and the weight difference is less than 0.5kg.

there were a couple of other reasons - firstly it's cheaper and secondly, i am worried about hidden delamination and weakening of carbon after a knock or a fall. i don't know how tough carbon really is.

when the variado arrives i shall have a play but to be honest, i don't have much to campare it with - i'm riding a fixed wheel at the moment and have ridden all slorts of silly bikes previously!

:)
  • Fair points you have there, having never owned a carbon frame before im a little concerened about the overall longetvity of carbon frames. I will have to suck it and see i think....
  • il_principe
    [hijack]

hi everyone - i was in the same quandry as mr. scooterboy and i've gone for the variado expert.

just one question, if i may butt in for a second - what upgrades should i get. specifically (i know it shouldn't be a concern) i find the chainset really quite ugly and would like to change it but without sacrificing any quality - does anyone have any recommendations of what i should be looking at?

cheers,

johnny

[/hijack]

Don't mess about changing the chainset for cosmetic reasons, there are far more effective ways to spend your money. You will notice the benefits of upgrading the wheels, and your ar$e will thank you for changing the saddle, at least mine did! For wheels I'd suggest Fulcrum 5's or 3's if you can afford them. Jedi Sports on ebay or Comobike in Italy are good places to buy Fulcrum wheels at cheaper than uk prices:
    http://tinyurl.com/22va7f
    http://tinyurl.com/2c9yjo
  • scooterboy wrote:
    Fair points you have there, having never owned a carbon frame before im a little concerened about the overall longetvity of carbon frames. I will have to suck it and see i think....

i think what'll happen is you'll be deeeeelighted with your bike and i'll be just as happy with mine - everyone's a winner!

i do find the chainset painfull to look at - the ice grey ultegra on the '08 is far nicer. wheels are on the list of upgrades but probably not until the summer.

:D
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Hey guys i just got my Cayo 08 and i'm delighted with it. True i gotta change the saddle, its a ball cruncher alright. The overall value is second to none.

'm coming back to the bike after a 4/5 yr break, and i'm shocked at the prices of everything nowadays. I'm gagging to get out properly on my bike, but i'm now having to wait till payday again so i can tog myself out in new threads!

I WILL GET ON THE ROAD THIS MONTH!!

Now i'm worried about the pain that lies ahead, but i'm twitching with excitement!
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    scooterboy wrote:

That is a beautifal bike!

I'll assume those are your training wheels and then it is the most beautifally euro bike i've seen in a while.

White saddle, white bar tape, campag, italian carbon, lovely paintjob.

Very Euro.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • il_principe
    nolf wrote:
    scooterboy wrote:

That is a beautifal bike!

I'll assume those are your training wheels and then it is the most beautifally euro bike i've seen in a while.

White saddle, white bar tape, campag, italian carbon, lovely paintjob.

Very Euro.

Cheers Nolf! Someone described it as "chavvy" the other day so it's nice to hear some appreciative words! I want some Bora Ultras but cannot afford at the moment. Also in the market for a new saddle, that Arione is old and I'd forgotten how much I don't get on with it. Foolishly sold my previous bike complete with its Toupe saddle.

Moomaloid - congrats on the purchase. Enjoy getting out on the road!
  • Moomaloid wrote:
    Hey guys i just got my Cayo 08 and i'm delighted with it. True i gotta change the saddle, its a ball cruncher alright. The overall value is second to none.

'm coming back to the bike after a 4/5 yr break, and i'm shocked at the prices of everything nowadays. I'm gagging to get out properly on my bike, but i'm now having to wait till payday again so i can tog myself out in new threads!

I WILL GET ON THE ROAD THIS MONTH!!

Now i'm worried about the pain that lies ahead, but i'm twitching with excitement!

Congrats!!! - how about some pics??

What made you opt for the 2008 version???
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I went for the 08 a) because it had a full spec (minus the chainset ofcourse) of Ultegra,, plus the wheels are better than the 07, and i hated to big white logo's on the '07...

only had a quick spin out on it but its already apparent how responsive it is. Just gagging to get out on it properly and get some fitness back!

I was looking at the Planet X and they do look bling don't they, especially the carbon, but the conpact frame just doesnt appeal to me for some reason...
  • chipie
    chipie Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,
    I'm also thinking about buying a variado but the basic model with the 105 groupset as a winter bike. Wiggle are doing a good deal on the 07 bike.
    Does anyone know if a proper set of mudguards would fit?
    thank's
  • Welcome Chipie!!

I dont think the variado has mudguard eyes so im not sure if full guards will fit without some level of p clips and bodging. Have you considred a set of SKS race blades? check Wiggle or Ribble websites for details.

BTW my 2007 Cayo arrived at from Wiggle, so i will feedback tommorrow once i have unpacked her!!!! Fingers crossed on size......................
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I have an '07 Variado, and I very much doubt you'd manage to get a full set of guards onto it, if you did, it would require bodging as there are no eyelets on it. It does of course take SKS raceblades.
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    The frame on the 07 Variado looks suspiciously like the frame on my 07 Univega Via Laser. Focus, Univega and Raleigh are all connected somehow. I've fitted full length SKS Bluemel guards to mine with few problems. There's no chainstay bridge at the back so I had to trim the rear guard slightly short of the bottom bracket and zip tie it to the seat tube.