DAVE LLOYD CHALLENGE - Info on the Hills?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Me/Bro and my other mate are embarking on our toughest ever venture...the incomparably difficult North Wales Sportif that Dave has conjured up from his darkest nightmare....

For anyone who doesnt know the route the Main climbs are as Follows:-

Bwlch PenBarras , The Shelf from Ruthin, Horsehoe pass(opposite way from Llangollen), Worlds End (from Llangollen) , Moel Arthur(from Mold side),...

then weve got the B4501 from Denbigh to Cerrig which Dave calls the 'road to hell'.

Then it's Bwlch Y Groes from Llanuwchllyn (I've did this from Dinas Mawddry side and its one of the toughest climbs ever)...how tough is this easier side? as I know its easier than the other side but so is nearly every other climb in the UK!

Then its the Hirnant Pass...done this aswell...and a fairly steep stiff long climb!...then its just a case of a series of small sharp climbs called 'stingers' back to Ruthin...

Must be plenty lads out there with knowledge of these climbs...and info appreciated as I want to know when to expect extreme suffering and prepare myself appropriately!

Comments

• nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Seems to be trying to out tough all the other sportives.No doubt he'll be riding as well,so he can do a Bruce Springsteen & go on about his glory days.Sure he's been a hell of a rider,and still is,but a bit less of the me me wouldn't go amiss
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Anonymous
    Seems to be trying to out tough all the other sportives.No doubt he'll be riding as well,so he can do a Bruce Springsteen & go on about his glory days.Sure he's been a hell of a rider,and still is,but a bit less of the me me wouldn't go amiss

Errr...thats not exactly what I was asking for...I'd have maybe headed it 'What do you think of Dave Lloyd?' for the reply you have given me...and TBH I don't care if he's trying to out tough the rest...thats probably why I'm doing it as it will be the ultimate test for mere mortals...and if I get around all those climbs in this wonderful area then i'll be well happy...

So I take it yoy don't have any info on the hills?
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Back to the subject. Afraid I dont know the climbs but do plan to ride the route sometime in April when it doesnt look too much like rain.

So interested in replies and if anyone else feels like a run out in April let me know.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    Really looking forward to taking on the shorter of the two routes....I'm new to sportives so I'm having a crack at two or three sub-hundred milers through the summer before a big ride at the Wild Wales Challenge on August bank holiday weekend.

I'm fairly local to the route and I can assure you that there are some serious climbs waiting for you. They're easily on a par with anything I used to ride when I lived in the Lakes. As for when to expect extreme suffering.......I reckon any jolly chit-chatting is going to last about five minutes. Sending the route straight up Bwlch PenBarras is the act of a sadist! This is going to be a brute of a ride but if you want to challenge yourself on quiet roads in stunning scenery then you'll love it.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Anonymous
    pugwashcp wrote:
    Really looking forward to taking on the shorter of the two routes....I'm new to sportives so I'm having a crack at two or three sub-hundred milers through the summer before a big ride at the Wild Wales Challenge on August bank holiday weekend.

I'm fairly local to the route and I can assure you that there are some serious climbs waiting for you. They're easily on a par with anything I used to ride when I lived in the Lakes. As for when to expect extreme suffering.......I reckon any jolly chit-chatting is going to last about five minutes. Sending the route straight up Bwlch PenBarras is the act of a sadist! This is going to be a brute of a ride but if you want to challenge yourself on quiet roads in stunning scenery then you'll love it.

I did the Wild wales last year!...super dooper it was....very very tough...very little climbs under 20% and the climb up Bwch Y Groes nearing the end was something i'll not forget in a hurry...equal toughest climb I've did in the UK...after that it was just a case of the Hirnant Pass beack to Bala(and that was no joke either)...check the photo's of the event on the outrageoes Bwlch Y Groes:-

http://will49.zenfolio.com/p562427729/? ... #103718819

I'm in photo 79 with the Gerolsteiner shirt on...check photo's 97 & 192 for a reality check on the climb....and there's well over 1.3km's of 14% before you even hit this bit...and still a huge lump of 20% after that aswell! wot a climb! I must admit that I was one of the very few to make it up without stopping that day! Great Photo's.

Glad we do the easier side of the bwlch in daves challenge.

Yeah I reckon this Bwlch PenBarras is going to be a shocker after only 1km on the bike..Dave says its probably the steepest out the ride...even heard a guy rate this as in his top 5 toughest in the UK!....now I've been up many killers and if this reaches my top 5 then its gonna be murder!.....North Wales is so stunning and the terrain is so challenging...can't wait but would love to hear more of Worlds End, Moer Arthur and this horrible road to Cerrig!
  • Bwlch Pen Barras - tend to avoid this, nowhere near as bad as Bwlch y Groes or Hardknott though. Steep at the bottom, slight rest then steep to cattle grid and up around hairpin. Not as steep on last stretch though didn't really feel like it last time I went this way. Better after 1mile tha 140!
    The Shelf - long but fairly steady, a couple of steeper ramps. I know people who have been up here in the 53.
    Back of Horseshoe - breaks down into about three ramps linked by flatter sections, fairly straightforward, prob 6-7%.
    World's End - from Llangollen, steep for mile or so, drops a bit then drags for ages before a steepish ramp up to the ford - very slippy - and the hard bit up through the trees, 16-17%. Let the scenery take your mind off the pain.
    From Cymau up and down over to Rhosesmor - nothing excessive, but will be general wearing down process.
    Moel Arthur - couple of miles long, steepest at the bottom, nice. Steep, fast, narrow and bumpy descent.
    Cerrig road to hell - not done this yet but just pray there's no prevailing SW wind that day!
    Lumpy then to Bala, and undulates along the lake to Bwlch y Groes. Does not compare to the other side but still hard.
    Hirnant - hard at the bottom, hard through the trees before eases on open moors to the pass.
    As for the Stingers - they were in Wild Wales two years ago within the first 20-25 miles of the ride and they were horrendous. At this point of the ride, probably best not to think about them too much beforehand!

Individually, not too bad, Pen Barras the hardest, but all together over that distance, well... And If it rains, it'll make conditions on last years GFC look like a walk in the park!
  • Anonymous
    Bwlch Pen Barras - tend to avoid this, nowhere near as bad as Bwlch y Groes or Hardknott though. Steep at the bottom, slight rest then steep to cattle grid and up around hairpin. Not as steep on last stretch though didn't really feel like it last time I went this way. Better after 1mile tha 140!
    The Shelf - long but fairly steady, a couple of steeper ramps. I know people who have been up here in the 53.
    Back of Horseshoe - breaks down into about three ramps linked by flatter sections, fairly straightforward, prob 6-7%.
    World's End - from Llangollen, steep for mile or so, drops a bit then drags for ages before a steepish ramp up to the ford - very slippy - and the hard bit up through the trees, 16-17%. Let the scenery take your mind off the pain.
    From Cymau up and down over to Rhosesmor - nothing excessive, but will be general wearing down process.
    Moel Arthur - couple of miles long, steepest at the bottom, nice. Steep, fast, narrow and bumpy descent.
    Cerrig road to hell - not done this yet but just pray there's no prevailing SW wind that day!
    Lumpy then to Bala, and undulates along the lake to Bwlch y Groes. Does not compare to the other side but still hard.
    Hirnant - hard at the bottom, hard through the trees before eases on open moors to the pass.
    As for the Stingers - they were in Wild Wales two years ago within the first 20-25 miles of the ride and they were horrendous. At this point of the ride, probably best not to think about them too much beforehand!

Individually, not too bad, Pen Barras the hardest, but all together over that distance, well... And If it rains, it'll make conditions on last years GFC look like a walk in the park!

Thanks Weslhpantani for your outstanding feedback....I admire people akin to yourself who go out there way to help others out...I do the same.....I knew bwlch PenBarras was going to be difficult but I knew it wasnt gonna be a match for the Horrendous brutes you mention...Those 2 are by far and away the toughest I've ever did in the UK...

I do reckon I'll be near dying by the time the stingers come....thanks again!