Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

remove 2 links or not to remove 2 links (chain length Q)

driverpmdriverpm Posts: 65
edited January 2008 in Workshop
sorry if this is a repeat:
just got a new chain as i want to keep 2 on the go and rotate while cleaning. Existing chain is about 200 miles old and 2 links shorter than new (same chain type). Am i right in thinking that to make things easy, and avoid rear mech problems / shifting dificulties, i need to remove 2 links from my new chain?
Cheers
Phil

PS happy cycling in 2008!
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable

• Smokin JoeSmokin Joe Posts: 5,669
    Both chains should be the same length. Two links too long and it will be hanging on the floor. (Assuming your present chain is the correct length, of course).
  • John.TJohn.T Posts: 3,698
    I would not change the chain until you have done about 1000 miles. Perhaps a little less in dirty winter conditions. You should get at least 6000 miles from the 2 chains if they are good quality ones.
  • andrew_sandrew_s Posts: 2,511
    John.T wrote:
    I would not change the chain until you have done about 1000 miles. Perhaps a little less in dirty winter conditions. You should get at least 6000 miles from the 2 chains if they are good quality ones.
    I'd suggest more frequently than that - I've had a new chain slip when the old one was only 800 miles old.
  • John.TJohn.T Posts: 3,698
    I use Ultegra cassettes and have found them to be very hard wearing and cost effective. I get 10000 miles plus from a cassette. Three to four chains. I always spend £15 or more for chains. Dura-ace or similar. Again cheaper in the long run. I think this is one area where the better and more expensive kit is worth while, even for the hack bike. Perhaps more so as it gets all the muck.