Grips and Pedals

GT Destroyer
GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
Now then.

Grips and pedals are the last 2 remaining big bits I need to buy for the new bike.

What are good/bad things to look out for, I have seen that DMRs are very popular. Do I have to have a sealed bearing or is it stupid to get some pedals without this?

Also whats the deal with lock on grips, why do I need them over standard ones?

Thanks.

Comments

• Lock-on grips are heavier and more expensive, but once they're locked on they don't budge, and they can be easily removed without the aid of washing up liquid/screwdriver/stanley knife if you want to swap components. I made the switch to ODI X-tremes a few months ago, and I can't imagine ever going back.

As for pedals, I can vouch for Gusset Slim Jims, which are incredibly grippy and light.
  • Do the lock-on grips work with carbon fibre, and not damage it?

I've seen the gusset ones during my search for some and they come in orange, so they are definately on the short-list.
  • To be honest I wouldn't advise it as the clamping forces of both lock-on grips and bar ends also tend to put too much stress on the thinner wall at the ends of the bars which *can* end in catastrophic failure as carbon gives you no warning when it fails unlixe Allu/steel etc.

I have carbon bars on my Marin (K-Force) and use a traditional enclosed-end grip.

I am running pedros racing grips that are very thin - however Spesh do some nice enduro grips and ODI O-grips are great.
  • Thanks Cheesey - I though there might be some risk involved (only small though) as the bar is carbon, I have been fine with the normal slip on grips up to now so I might just stick with them.

And I'm not sure about the Gussets? They don't get great reviews on CrC, I'm not sure if they'll be strong/durable enough for our kind of riding. The V12's are only a tenner more, and the Mag V12s only twenty more, it could be some of them I go for, downside is that they aren't orange, but white or black would still go with the colour scheme on the bike.

actually Cheesey, are they mags on your Marin?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    What about Wellgo MG1s? Essentially exactly the same as a mag V12, but only about £30 on ebay.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • I TELL YOU WHAT!!

I have stumbled on some Wellgo MG1 magnesiums IN ORANGE!!! And it looks like it'll match the headset colour, result.

Blackspur - Legendary mate.
  • Ordered - £45 delivered in orange. Nothing like striking while the irons hot!
  • BlackSpur
    What bike are they going onto?
  • I use ODI lock-ons with Ritchey WCS carbon bars. No catastrophic failures thus far, but I was careful to ensure I didn't over-tighten them. I'd recommend using a torque wrench just to make sure.
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    BlackSpur wrote:
    What bike are they going onto?

On to an 08 Orange Crush. I went for these orange pedals, orange Chris King headset, I am planning to get an orange QR skewer for the back wheel, and I might get one of the fizik saddles, you can attach scuff guards which are visible to the eye, in orange of course.

The bike (its in my sig) is mainly white, with a black front end, I'm hoping the orange touches will be noticeable but not too over the top?
  • BlackSpur
    Should look great. Make sure you get some pics up when its all done!