Riding around Benidorm

bobbymeister
bobbymeister Posts: 186
As it says in the title really, I'm heading to Benidorm next week for some cheap sunshine and the bike's coming too. If anyone has any recommended routes/roads to avoid, I'd be grateful....
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    you're in luck bobby there is great riding inland from benidorm in the sierra aitana hills, head inland to callosa de serra and you have great, hilly roads everywhere one turns!

my fav loop is to start in callosa, tarbena, castell de castells, gorga, l'abdet, guadalest, and back to callosa.......

go armed with a michelin map of the costa blanca

enjoy! i love it over there, the costa blanca is great for cycling
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I like - Benidorm, Finestrat, Sella, Tudons (1,000 metre climb from sea level), dodgy potholed gravelly descent, through a village (forgotten its name), take a right turn (easy to miss) then right again and climb up and over to Confrides, then a lovely long descent to Guadalest (nice cafes there), and a steeper descent and an undulating ride back to Callosa, various ways back to Benidorm from there.

Try and take in the Col de Rates as well. It's a lovely climb and a great descent. You can get to it from Tarbena if you don't take the left turn for Castell de Castells. Right in the valley at the bottom takes you through Jalon. If you climb to the right at the end of the valley, you head back over the coastal motorway and come onto the main coast road, the N332. That can be a bit busy but it is a lovely long fast descent to above Calpe, then a bit undulating back through Altea. You can go left down to the little seaside road to get away from the traffic, and go the quieter way back to Benidorm through Albir.

Don't get caught out though - it can be really nice in those mountains but at this time of year you could get snow up there and certainly freezing fog. I got very chilled a couple of times there in March this year. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!