Winter boots shoes. What do you use???

Edwinsprint
Edwinsprint Posts: 66
edited January 2008 in Workshop
In currently use normal spesh road shoes with good quality endura overshoes . Fine for cycling to work (1hr) but have not attempted longer rides. And am eyeing up the Northwave boots

I am thinking of getting some winter boots at

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... TX%20Boots

I have got Diadora Red Chili MTB boots which are fab if a bit narrow. Ithink I would be fussier about the fit on a road bike as I tend to notice problems more when stuck in the saddle for longer.(EG I use Spesh inserts under the insole to stop my feet pronating too much. I cannot use these inserts so space isat a premium around my toes.

Has anyone used Northwave winter boots? I have seen that they are quite a wide fit?

I am a 42 in Shimano and Spesh shoes in Summer. so I was thinking of getting a 43 in Northwaves ?

Has anyone seen these cheaper elsewhere??

Ed

Comments

• i just use my normal specialized s-works road shoes. being a bit cold makes me cycle harder. if you cycle hard enough you really are never cold, except the hands which i find do need protection.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I've not used winter shoes on my road bike as yet - but not done much winter riding on it! Mostly on my MTB and commuter currently but giving serious though to putting MTB pedals on my road bike and using my mtb winter shoes whilst road riding through the worst of the rest of the winter - I have the Shimano MW02 winter boots and very happy with them - I usually struggle a lot with my feet but these are a huge improvement.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I recently tried winter boots (Spesh Defrosters) but I've gone back to my regular Spesh shoes and overshoes.

I found the boots heavier/bulkier and more restrictive in terms of ankle movement, and no warmer really.

As you say, on the road you notice these things.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Diadora chili extreme road shoes at 50 quid a pair. Absolute bargain if available in your size:

http://everndencycles.co.uk/products.ph ... oes_-_Road

You should be OK with the 44s (the only size they have left in stock by the look of it) with thick socks and that extra special 'warm air space'.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    i just use my normal specialized s-works road shoes. being a bit cold makes me cycle harder. if you cycle hard enough you really are never cold, except the hands which i find do need protection.

You're very fortunate, then. I find I can usually keep my hands warm, but feet are different matter. I've actually been sweating but had feet so cold I couldn't feel them and resorted to walking for a bit to get them warm.

For commuting, which ended with climb up to the 6th floor to get to the lab, I used a pair of Sidi cyclocross boots which were fine for the 45/50 minute ride but now I just use a pair of old road shoes with thick socks and Sidi over shoes which I've had for years. The important thing is not to have socks so thick they're tight and restrict the circulation. Clipless pedals have made things better. No need to fit bigger toeclips to accommodate overshoes.

I've been known to use wellies for commuting in snow in case I got so much wheelspin on my barrow I had to walk. Great for keeping dry feet when the snow turns to slush too LOL

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I got a pair of the Northwaves and to be honest they're no warmer than the Endura overshoes I used last year.

I've yet to go out in a really wet one - the overshoes let water in - but I'd guess that the boots will only keep rain out to a point....unless I put silicone around my ankles... :D
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I've recently got a pair of Lake MXZ302 boots. Nice and toasty so far, but not been provoked in the wet yet.
    Waterproofing is leather & dubbin rather than goretex or whatever.

[edit] they size up a bit small, so get a size larger than normal.
  • I've been using the Shimano MT90 Boot for the last couple of years and I've found it to be excellent. It's waterproof, comfortable to walk in and quite warm - and it doesn't look quite as silly as most cycling shoes. ;)

Magnus Thor
    Iceland
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Diadora chili extreme road shoes at 50 quid a pair. Absolute bargain if available in your size:

http://everndencycles.co.uk/products.ph ... oes_-_Road

You should be OK with the 44s (the only size they have left in stock by the look of it) with thick socks and that extra special 'warm air space'.

Another vote for these from me. I bought the MTB version as I us SPD's and like to be able to walk a bit in my cycle shoes. I have giant mancp to thank for the tip off.

:D
  • Geoff_SS wrote:
    i just use my normal specialized s-works road shoes. being a bit cold makes me cycle harder. if you cycle hard enough you really are never cold, except the hands which i find do need protection.

You're very fortunate, then. I find I can usually keep my hands warm, but feet are different matter. I've actually been sweating but had feet so cold I couldn't feel them and resorted to walking for a bit to get them warm.

For commuting, which ended with climb up to the 6th floor to get to the lab, I used a pair of Sidi cyclocross boots which were fine for the 45/50 minute ride but now I just use a pair of old road shoes with thick socks and Sidi over shoes which I've had for years. The important thing is not to have socks so thick they're tight and restrict the circulation. Clipless pedals have made things better. No need to fit bigger toeclips to accommodate overshoes.

I've been known to use wellies for commuting in snow in case I got so much wheelspin on my barrow I had to walk. Great for keeping dry feet when the snow turns to slush too LOL

Geoff

i was being a bit tongue in cheek! on group rides i do get cold feet though never find it painful unlike cold hands ... and i think keeping knees warm is sensible to avoid aches.

but when out by myself i work hard enough to keep myself warm. even when it is 0c i would never wear more than a pair of tights, one pair of socks, shoes, a long-sleeved top, and gloves.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I've been using these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9114 for a few months now. Nice and warm and dry, and easy to keep clean.
  • I've got the Northwave Celsius shoes (identical to the Farenheit but for SPD pedals) and have found them to be really good.
    I had to get 1 size larger than my usual and it did take about a week to really bed them in. I started to worry that they were going to be a flop, but they did wear in nicely.