Locked out shock, very bouncy

stumpyjon
stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
edited January 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Locked my Fox Triad shock out yesterday whilst on fire roads, I usually leave it in pro-pedal position and it's fine, no bobbing or anything. Yesterday with it locked out it felt like a pogo stick (caused by my pedalling), really springy, put it back to pro-pedal and it felt fine, bounce went away. I locked it out while seated so it was at about 25% sag.

Any ideas why this happened, should I have locked it out with the bike unweighted, was it just my frame and rear triangle flexing (as I said don't often lock it out), has something gone inside it, it's about 8 months old, hasn't been serviced although I've opened up the air can a couple of times and ad relubed with Fox Float fluid as they told me when I bought it.

The bikes an 07 Spesh Stumpy FSR Elite.
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result

Comments

• First guess would be that you turned the lever the wrong way and went to the fully active position.
  • stumpyjon
    Nope, didn't feel like that sort of bounce, didn't feel like the shock was really compressing, just a very springy rear end (so to speak). I'm fairly certain the lever was in the locked out position. I'll have to see if it's still doing it next time I go out.

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Jon

I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings but there was a problem with some of the 07 Triads - the seal which separates the positive and negative chambers can shrink in cold weather, allowing air to leach into the negative chamber, overpressurising it and causing the shock to lock down.

This is a known problem, and the dealer should be able to rectify it - I would not recommend trying to sort it out yourself, take it back to the dealer as soon as you can.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpyjon
    Maybe time for a service then, the forks are certainly much better for the sake of a bit of professional fettling.

• clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    that isnt locked down. that is when the shock has about half its available travel.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • stumpyjon
    I didn't think it was locked down as in pro-pedal or full active it's working fine. Been out again this afternoon, it only did it at a specific high cadence on tarmac which I got round by going up a gear no probs. Feels like the frame was resonating to the pedalling frequency. It's not really causing any problems as I don't lock it out very often. Only other thing I can think of is that I put too much Fox float fluid in it last time I relubed it, it was a bit of a b*gg*r to get it screwed back together. Maybe I'll strip and clean it and follow the instructions for how much fluid to put in it :D. If that doesn't fix it it's off to the LBS.