Newbie advice required

Babbs
Babbs Posts: 81
edited December 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Please feel free to abuse at any time, complete newbie requiring advice. i was wondering what is the best way to over come puncture's whilst out on a trail. Do i carry a repair kit? is this even realistic when your out or do i carry spare tubes? Any multi tool recomendations would be great. Thanks

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Better to carry spare tubes - I normally carry two. I also carry an emergency patch kit - basically glueless quick patches. They don't last very long but are good to have around for when both tubes have been used! Then I repair the punctures in comfort at home.
    Multitool wise I like a fairly basic one with the usual allen keys etc and then carry a dedicated chain breaker and proper tyre levers etc. I find the all bells and whistles multi tools generally try to do to many jobs in one and end up doing none very well.
  • Better to carry spare tubes - I normally carry two. I also carry an emergency patch kit - basically glueless quick patches. They don't last very long but are good to have around for when both tubes have been used! Then I repair the punctures in comfort at home.
    Multitool wise I like a fairly basic one with the usual allen keys etc and then carry a dedicated chain breaker and proper tyre levers etc. I find the all bells and whistles multi tools generally try to do to many jobs in one and end up doing none very well.
    I carry the exact same and would agree with Clanton
  • Again, I'm with Clanton.

Chain tool

Allen keys

Tyre levers

Tubes and patches a personal choice and some Jaffa Cakes to calm me down when I break something!!! I also always leave a tube cable tied to my seatpost just in case in my haste to get out to see mother nature I forget to pack one!!

PS, don't forget a mini pump!!!
  • Babbs
    Babbs Posts: 81
    cheers for all the help and advice. Ill have to go shopping now with these items in mind. does any one know any thing about these self sealing tubes?
  • OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    Personally I dont like self sealing tubes (ie slime tubes), I dont think they work particuarly well.
    As for what to carry...puncture repair kit, tyre levers (try and get some with a steel core and plastic outer), a decent quality dual action mini pump with a pressure gauge, and if you have space to carry it, a spare innter tube.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I find that Slime does work, but bear in mind that if you follow the manufacturer's instructions you will add about 8oz (250grams) weight to each wheel - rotating mass is not good...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic