pad wear

cavi
cavi Posts: 162
edited December 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
hi,
how the hell can i get more life out of my pads its costing me a fortune.
the last set lasted two road rides and one 4hroff road and then gone, I've now gone through
8 sets in 4 months. most of these have come from chain reaction and the last set from superstar components. i run avid juicy carbons.
Am i doing something wrong in the fitting process, i like to leave the calipers slightly out when fitting so i get a instant sharp feel at the lever, i make sure the wheel will turn with minimum rub is this wrong.
any advice, would be great,as i say its very expensive. regards

Comments

• Something is a miss mate.

I have Juicy Carbons and have had the same set in since April and now they only need changing.

The bike in all fairness has only done about 300 miles but thats still a fair innings!

You may be rubbing somewhere or your pistons need looking at?
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Really depends on how much you use your brakes and the conditions you ride in.

The pads on my stinky have lasted around two years, riding every other week and with some uplift days thrown in as well.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • cavi
    there has to be something wrong the last set of front did 65 miles only 25 off road, the conditions were bad to be fair but all the same they should last longer than that. i used to get months and months out of my hayes on my reign.
  • Organic pads have high wear rates, sintered last ages.
    The front Hope M4's have lasted nearly two years now and thats riding off road at least once a week in all weathers. The rear pads are over seven years old!!
  • cavi
    thanks rockhopper, i do know this but where can i get some decent sintered pads, any ideas?
  • Are you bedding them in first (i .e hard braking) so it gets a hard coating on the front of the pad?
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • cavi
    sorry about taking so long to get back been away from computer.yeh i do weld them in usually 10 hard breaking stints from a fare speed.
  • There is an auto place near us that will put a load of new compound onto worn out disc pads. A guy at work had this done and got 8 pads re-shod for £12. No issues as yet, normal wear rate, but an absolute bargain!!! Maybe worth looking into!
  • Any decent bike shop will stock a range of pads, all the on -line ones do. Hope have their own brand but EBC and others make them. Not sure who makes Avids pads.