What does "60TPI" mean on a tyre?

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited December 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just got a Maxxis High Roller 2.1 in 70a compound from CRC. On the label it says "60 TPI casing" - what does this mean? Is this something different from the 70a durometer rating?
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• At a guess i think it means "Threads Per Inch" which is something to do with the way the case is made up. It doesn't relate to the stickiness of the tread. Higher TPi will make a stronger heavier tyre. Lower TPI means a lighter tyre.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    You've guessed right but then got it wrong. TPI does mean threads per inch used in the carcas fabric and the higher the number, the finer the material produced. So a high TPI will be very pliable and light (think jacket fabric) whereas a low TPI uses bigger threads and hence is less pliable but stronger and heavier (think rucksack fabric).
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Well blow me down, you are quite right. Should have done some more research before i posted!