first fall on ice with clipless

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
just had my first fall on ice with clipless pedals i landed on my side no damage to bike, bad bruising on wrist, arm, knee and shoulder and ripped my pants happened last week going out again on bike on sunday

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    yes, I fell off on the ice last weekend as well. I was going down a slight incline, not pedalling and just praying to stay upright as I could see a sheet of ice beneath my wheels. Next minute, wheels went over to the left and I was skidding down the road on my side, still attached to bike. Thankfully, no cars were around - a few minutes later a number of 4x4's passed by. I've got a gash in my shin but otherwise ok. Shame that you ripped your clothes - I would have been well p'd off if I'd damaged anything.

I've not been out since because of christmas festivities. I had planned to go out yesterday to try out my new Garmin but I'm now clammy and full of cold so I'm taking a few more days off.

Hope your bruises heal up soon.
  • Ice is exactly the reason I didnt go out on the last sundays club run. The guys were telling me they were doing about 5mph in some places :s
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I chickened out until Boxing day - too icy - blooming annoying when you rip stuff - any chance you can patch it up ?

Nice and mild now, if a tad damp and mucky.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I went for a ride last weekend, and the rear wheel was spinning on the ice as I climbed the hill leaving home. Roads were very slippery in patches, but if you learn to relax, and keep your balance, do noting rushed like swerve or brake and you will usually be fine, great practice, try and keep a reasonable speed as well.

I fell a few years ago going around a sharp bend, bike went out across the road, me in hedge, and feet still clipped in. Nothing damaged.

Get back out and have another go, it gets easier. Just relax.
  • i went on the 23 dec with a few people it was very icy one of them came downturning left on hump back bridge, and i behind on the other side of the road. It happened so quick one moment he was up and then quickly down. once he fell down he just slid across the road, he was fine just shaken, no rips in his clothes or damage to his bike just pride hurt.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    duckiciao wrote:
    Ice is exactly the reason I didnt go out on the last sundays club run. The guys were telling me they were doing about 5mph in some places :s
    Same reason I didn't go on our club run last week, I heard there were a few fallers.
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    Ouch! This thread reminds me that I fell off myself twice on the ice over a week ago. No serious damage, but my ribs and left leg are still aching. The second fall much sorer than the first, I think because I was too tense after the first. Was wearing toeclips, but I and the bike somehow parted company during the falls.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Haven't seen any ice yet this year, but last year there was loads. Just only brake while going in straight lines, pump your brakes, never ever brake while going around corners as you can't turn while braking and consider not using your back brake in ice.

Personally I love dry and very cold. It makes the air very crisp and produces some fantastic vistas, make the most of it before the rainy season comes again!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson