Aero Bars

drewfromrisca
drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
edited December 2007 in Workshop
I'm looking at doing a few TT's when my injuries have cleared up in the next coming season and due to the g'friend laying down the law with another bike and a huge lack of space anyway, I'm looking for a pair of clip on aero bars. Any suggestions? Looking to spend up to £100.

Cheers

Drew.
There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Are you using them with a regular road bike or planning to have the bike in TT set-up all the time? As far as clip-ons go, Deda Black carbon clip ons are light and have plenty of adjustment. For stiffness, Easton carbon clip-ons are stiff, have good pads but have little adjustability. I wouldn't recommend Profile products - poor quality as they're poorly assembled / often fall apart and are surprisingly heavy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hi Monty Dog, thanks for the advice, I'm using it on a regular road bike as I cant get another bike (TT bike) Are clip on's any good? I could possibly get a TT specific bar and swap it round for the races but is that efficient!?!?!

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    I ran Profile Carbon Stryke tribars on my last road bike. I had them for three years and trained and competed in two half-ironmans and a full ironman tri, as well as some shorter events. I found the excellent - nice quality, highly adjustable and light.

What you must get is fore-aft adjustability. Most people who plonk a set of tri bars on a road bike end up far too far forward on the tribars. You generally need to bring the bars and armpads back or fit a shorter stem.

I've decided to do the big woody ironman this autumn and will be buying the same again for my new roadbike.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Well, going on my experience of the 3 different pairs of Profile tri-bars that were all returned with warranty defects - finishing a race with no armpad is no fun! I've not experienced any problems with products from Scott, 3T, Deda or Easton in comparison. Clip-ons are fine provided they're set-up correctly. They normally need to be mounted against the bare metal i.e. untaped handlebar, otherwise they'll slip. You may also need to fit a shorter, lower stem in comparison to your road bike set up for a better position - particularly if the bars have got high arm rests. You'll probably find more info on timetrialling or triathlon forums regarding set-ups.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for the help, I do actually run a short stem anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. I would be looking to get adjustable bars. Would it be better to go to a Triathlon specific store as they might a bit more than your average LBS?

• willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    robbarker wrote:

I've decided to do the big woody ironman this autumn and will be buying the same again for my new roadbike.

Ah good lucky with that:) was hoping to do that myself, but can't run now as i'm injured :S course is only a few miles away from my house and was intending to go watch part of it so might seeyou fly by onthe day lol
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    What was the problem Monty - metal ampad cups unscrewing? Mine were supplied with bolts pre-coated with threadlocker - I wonder if that's what's they did to workaround the problem?