Upgrades fo my Trek

Jay B
Jay B Posts: 11
edited December 2007 in Workshop
Hi
New to cycling, bought myself a 07 Trek 1000 triple. May be looking to upgrade parts on it but any time i ask in a bike shop they look at me as though im a low life as i have nt got a £1000 bike and tell me not to waste my money and save for a new bike. Well im not going to have the money for a new bike as just started a family and dont think my missus would approve. I d probably lose my legs! Was thinking of changing levers for tiagra and changing it to 9 speed? any advice?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd probably agree with the shops TBH.

If your 8 Speed is working fine, I couldn't see the need in upgrading it to 9 speed (or even 10 speed). If you are happy with the Sora style levers (personally I think they are fine) stick with them.

Maybe get a better wheelset and some new tyres? A decent computer? Clipless pedals? Does it have a Carbon fork? Carbon seatpost? Better Saddle? Better bar tape? Better handlebars?

Plenty of better things to upgrade before the drivetrain IMHO. Changing parts on the drivetrain probably won't have as big an effect as other things that could be done more cheaply.

BTW £1000 is still a cheap bike to a lot of serious roadies!!
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I'd say enjoy the bike as is and replace parts as and when they are damaged/worn. The LBS are giving sound advice IMO instead of making a quick sale. Money spent on it isn't going to turn it into a superbike and the money would be better going towards the 'dream bike' in a couple of years once you have a better idea of what suits you.

Your suggestion of changing to 9 speed from 8 speed will involve unnecessary expense for little or no gain in my opinion - not only the levers need to be changed.

Of course, if your determined to spend money on it, wheels and tyres would be a good starting point to change, though without knowing what is alrady there, its difficult to say. I'd imagine there will be some heavy set of Bontragers already fitted.

The alternate is to spend the money on. if you haven't any as yet, appropriate comfortable clothing and shoes to enjoy your cycling.

The above may not be what you want to hear and its only my opinion.

Happy cycling all the same!!!
  • Jay B
    Hi
    Thanks for that. My 8 spd Sora's working fine so will probably take your advice on that. It has carbon forks, seat post and i ve upgraded to look clipless pedals. I bought a cycle computor ages ago while on my mountain bike. Got it for £15, measures heart rate and all milage, speed and averages. Been reading about ones which measure cadence. What computors would you recomend?
  • Jay,

Ribble have the Blackburn delphi 4 (wireless speed + wired cadence) on sale at £22.95 (RRP £34.95). I got one for Xmas (from wiggle) and have found it to do everything thats needed. I use a separate polar heart rate monitor so no need for the much more expensive delphi 5.0

baz
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I've used the wired Cateye Astrale ( an earlier model of this http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/253) in the distant past and it did everything I needed a bike computer to do. I had a seperate HRM. If I wanted only a bike computer I would have no hesitation in buying the Cateye Astrale again.
  • I reckon the bike shop has it right, I spent a lot of money upgrading my sora triple bike, then went and got a new bike anyway, with far more improvement than I could have got out of my upgraded original. In my case the upgrades were for fit as much as performance, eg better chainset with shorter cranks, narrower bars etc

Sora 8 speed triple is great, you may need to change bottom bracket when it fails (which it will) but no rush

If you want to upgrade, go for items you can transfer to a new bike later. IMHO a top quality saddle (eg Sell Italia SLR) with very good shorts, new tyres (say conti GP4000), these will make more difference to ride enjoyment and performance than a new groupset. If/when you knacker the wheels (as io did) you can then get some much better ones
    I want to climb hills so badly;
    and I climb hills so badly
  • Jay B
    Thanks guys, think going to take advice and enjoy my bike for what it is and leave it alone.
    One of main reason for upgrading was to look little better as looking to join a club somewhere along line and am a little apprehensive about it. Would my bike be a problem to me being accepted if my bike dont look the part?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Spend your money on wheels and tyres - IME the quality of wheels on Trek bikes is pretty poor, so even a pair £100 wheels like Shimano R550s or similar will feel way better. Likewise, the tyres will be low rent too - even a decent quality training tyre like a Bonty Hardcase or Michelin Krylion will feel loads better. After that, only spend money on bits that need replacing and save for a better bike if that's your ambition.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..