Stumpy or Scale?

richiemtb
richiemtb Posts: 10
edited January 2008 in XC and Enduro
I am loking to get a new XC race bike for around 1500 (the pound sign on the keyboard dosent work) and have narrowed my options down to the Scot Scale 35 2008 model and the Specialized Stumpy HT Expert. I was wondering if you could recommend which one to go for.

Comments

• cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Two thoughts.

First the keyboard problem... you might have set up for US keyboard; try the $ sign and see if that does the pound. Then change to UK keyboard (unless of course your keyboards knackered).

I like the Scott Carbon and if you can stretch another £50 you could get the Scott 30 which would be a great frame for upgrading later as well. http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/scott_scale_30.html
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw wrote:
    Two thoughts.

First the keyboard problem... you might have set up for US keyboard; try the $ sign and see if that does the pound. Then change to UK keyboard (unless of course your keyboards knackered).

I like the Scott Carbon and if you can stretch another £50 you could get the Scott 30 which would be a great frame for upgrading later as well. http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/scott_scale_30.html

I totally agree - for the extra £50 it's so worth it.

Excellent bike! :wink:
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Scott Scale everytime! Have a look for cheap 2007 models going in the sales. If you can stretch the budget to carbon then it is well worth it, especially when the scale frame weighs in at about 1kilo!

Gud luck!
  • I'd also go for the Scale 30 Carbon, unless you want top notch components straight off the peg, in which case I'd get the Scale 35 or look again at the Trek 8500 (see signature for 2007 model).
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I agree that the scale is a great deal.But Im riding a Stumpy not the expert but the comp,its a fast smooth well speced machine for the money.And my frame size of 17 weighs a tad over 25 pounds,after a few small adjustments it will be lighter and quicker up them hills.
  • Another vote for the Stumpy.
    I also have a 2007 Comp HT and absolutely love it - light, good forks and brakes, flies up hills and great VFM.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • JWYATT-18
    JWYATT-18 Posts: 114
    Leave the Stumpy its just for the name i see far more Scales on the trails never been on one but i think go scale spesh just put the price up for the name i dont like the stumpy 07 its a wastle riddin it feels like i'm being kept behind the bike just does'nt roll with both locked out , one problem after another with my mates stay away i'm not a fan of any Spesh
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    JWYATT-18 wrote:
    Leave the Stumpy its just for the name i see far more Scales on the trails never been on one but i think go scale spesh just put the price up for the name i dont like the stumpy 07 its a wastle riddin it feels like i'm being kept behind the bike just does'nt roll with both locked out , one problem after another with my mates stay away i'm not a fan of any Spesh

:shock: please can u use full stops. Its really confusing to read! cheers
    JWATT-18 wrote:
    its a wastle riddin it feels like i'm being kept behind the bike just does'nt roll with both locked out
    sorry?
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    That's odd. I've had mine now for over a year and it's never once given me any problems, epcially given that it's a hardtail there's not a great deal that'll go wrong with it. Only the components will cause problems.

Spesh every time!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I admit, I would love a Scale frame but I certainly wouldn't swap my Stumpy for it.

It depends what you want it for, I've seen lots of ancient Stumpys about, lots used for massive treks across countries covered in racks yet they can still race at the top and be directly compared to the best. The part I trust least on my Stumpy is the carbon bar :P Dirty voodoo, bendy, plastic-like magic material.
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    Vote for the stumpy here, but only cos I've got one I spose, have never tried the scale so can't be really objective. :?
    Have been very happy with the stumpy tho' (07 HT Expert 18"), only problems I've had in six months and 1500 odd miles (mainly off road - sandy) have been a graunchy rear hub, which was regreased and now OK, and a severely worn transmission (chain, cassette and chainrings). If I'd bought a chain checker earlier could've got away with a new chain, no chance of that now. Paint finish is not that durable either, but probably as good as anything else from Taiwan.
    Have a few upgrades, S Works carbon bar, XTR spds, Thomson layback seatpost, also have a Sram 990 cassette and 991 chain and Middleburn chainrings waiting to be fitted when I get my Hope Pro3 Straightpull wheelset which I just ordered today :twisted:
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Lou_m
    Lou_m Posts: 97
    Hi Richie, I had the same dilemma when i wanted to change my bike. I was looking at the Stumpy and Scale 30. IWhen i worked in the bike trade I was a specialized fan boy and i think ive had 5 Stumpy MTBs over the years so i thought it would be an easy choice. In the end i went for the Scott. The Scott was a couple of pounds lighter but what amazed me was the ride comfort. The carbon frame just absorbs the trail buzz so much better. Another thing was you get a 100mm travel fork on the Scale as opposed to 90mm on the Stumpy.

Also with some choice upgrades over time the weight will just fall of the Scale.

Love the bike and even my mates who are all full sus riders have commented how "comfortable" the ride is.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Lou_m wrote:

Love the bike and even my mates who are all full sus riders have commented how "comfortable" the ride is.

Got to admit I find the same with mine. It's bloody rigid but there is no pain in the ar$e doing anything as the carbon seems to soak up everything. Must adit I've done nothing over 25 miles, but even after that it didn't hurt my butt. Also no buzz in the arms etc as the whole rig is carbon.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    It's the scale that keeps me off the Klein at the mo. I can't really say anything more than that.