rear suss

vodkarob
vodkarob Posts: 29
edited December 2007 in MTB beginners
i don't want to sound like a total plum,but what difference is there between rear suss with and without a piggyback?

Comments

• Not completely sure on this one as my rear shock is a cheaper one (2005 Manitou Swinger 3-way SPV), BUT here goes

The piggy back offers more tunability I think, i.e High/low speed compression and the likes where as without usually only rebound/ pro pedal etc
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • cheers for the info.the bike i would prob be getting has coil rear suss rather than air.would it be the same for that,just like the air one?
  • Yes it should be, BUT something I forgot to mention it depends on which shocker you are getting with the bike as they differ a lot.

Some have just high speed compression adjustment, some air volume adjustment, manitou swingers have a few variations, if its an SPV 4-way it has only SPV pressure and SPV volume in the piggy back!

Coil is obviously heavier, BUT it is supposed to be much better, Air shocks have to over come stiction from the valves/ seals etc more than a coil, whereas a coil is much plusher in its action.

Which rear shock is it?
    www.27gears.com

• its a marzocchi roco coil r
  • I post this link, you have probably already checked it out?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=21801

As you can see it has Adjustable rebound, compression, pre-load and air pressure.

I'm no expert but I would imagine that the Piggyback is the Air pressure or/and compression part of the shock, the rebound will be in the main shaft, preload will be by adjusting the coil spring knurl wheel at the top of the shock and it has TST (Terrain selection technology) which will come in handy.

Looks like a good shock.

Enjoy.
    www.27gears.com