Intermediate standard??

songwriter
songwriter Posts: 109
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
How do you graduate beginner status? An average speed of 18mph? 50mile rides? 100 miles a week?

Whats the plan man?
The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    average speed of 18mph is definitely NOT beginner status.

nor is 100 miles per week.
  • peejay78 wrote:
    average speed of 18mph is definitely NOT beginner status.

nor is 100 miles per week.
    cool gimme a couple more weeks 8)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited December 2007
    For a reasonably "athletic bloke" who hasn't done any cycling in the previous 5 years I'd say a 12-13mph Avg over 10 miles would be a good "begginers" start - (that would include plenty of short 0-7% gradients - typical hilly-ish roads - a few headwinds, maybe a bit of rain, or greasy surface)

If you took a "random" sample of 100 Men between 20-50 years old who haven't ridden in the last 5 years, I doubt very much, more than 5-10 % of them could manage a comfortable 18mph Avg over 10 miles, 3 times a week - that's not to say we can't :D - (18 over 10, 3 times a week is clearly not begginer riding)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I would have to be honest and say that I didn't know there was a list.

Dennis Noward
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Beginners - surely having none or limited, very sporadic experience on a bike is a general starting point!! :lol: Speed, distance, age, etc is irrelevant.
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Beginners - surely having none or limited, very sporadic experience on a bike is a general starting point!! :lol: Speed, distance, age, etc is irrelevant.
    Miss, Miss, I know the answer!! :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I think the question asked was "What do you need to do to cease being a beginner?"
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I'm clearly a beginner, I think 13mph was my average for my last trip!
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I think the question asked was "What do you need to do to cease being a beginner?"
    err...no it wasn't!!!

Lets hope its not when you can cycle with no hands - otherwise I'd still be using my stabilisers :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    err...no it wasn't!!!

Well what does:
    How do you graduate beginner status?
    Mean then?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I would say a beginner is someone who's only had very few rides, in single figures say, or someone who's only been riding say less then a month :?

Speed really has nothing to do with it; speed just determines how fit you are.
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    I think the thing that differentiates a beginner from anything else is simply experience. As Top-Bhoy says, it has nothing to do with speed or distance.

I am an experienced cycletourist, but if I tried crossing the Sahara I would certainly fall in the beginner category. I have also been an experienced time trialer, road racer and track racer. I was not fast as a time trialer nor any good at massed start, but I was far from being a beginner. I have commuted to work for many years, adding to my experience as a cyclist.

So there's the answer - get out and ride every type of riding you can (commuting/touring/racing/club runs etc) then you will become experienced.