Getting bikes on a car to France - help please!

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
I've put this in the sportive section cause I'm heading to France for La Marmotte 2008.
On my one previous trip to France I flew. This time I'll be going by car with two or three others. I have no idea where to start looking and there seems to be a bewildering number of options re ferry ports both in the UK and France and of course also the Chunnel! My geographical knowledge of France is very limited too and no one port seems to stand out as offering a clear advantage.
So help please!
Which is the best option to get myself and 2 or 3 others and four bikes to Alpe Duez?

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I reckon the best (cheap, frequent & not too far) will be from Dover/Folkstone to Calais/Boulogne/Dunkirque.

Ferrybooker.com shows, amongst others, the following:

Dover to Dunkerque Thu 3 Jul 2008 12:00-15:00 (2hrs 0mins)
    Dunkerque to Dover Sun 6 Jul 2008 20:01-21:00 (1hr 59mins)
    £63.00

Drive from Dunkerque to Alpe d'Huez is 935 km (about 8hrs 51mins)
    Rich
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    speedferries.com

55 mins from dover - boulogne, cheap too
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    it is cheaper to put the bikes on a bike rack on the back of the car rather than on a roofrack mounted system as it can be lowered to get under the 6 foot or whatever it is height limit

bon voyage
  • clanton
    Thanks for all the advice!
    Will need to find out re roof racks as we would need at least one bike on the roof.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    If you think you can't avoid carrying one on the roof consider having one passenger travel as a foot passenger and then either with bike as vehicle (for the foot passenger) or bike stowed in car boot.

foot passengers shouldn't cost any more than a passenger travelling in a vehicle but some ferries (NorfolkLine spring to mind) only carry car + driver and their passengers
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • I think Norfolk will take passenger + bike, as opposed to pure foot passenger.
    Anyone seen my bearings?
  • I always use Speedferries.

I just did a quick search for you and for 3 chaps in a car with bikes on the roof (high vehicle) you can do a trip over the weekend of La Marmotte for 40 quid return!!!!

(If time isn't an issue I usually go Zebrugge to Hull. This usually involves a few days riding the cobbled Bergs in Flanders, a visit to Freddie Maertens' museum, Moule Frites and drinking strong Belgian lagers :lol: )
  • I always use Speedferries.

I just did a quick search for you and for 3 chaps in a car with bikes on the roof (high vehicle) you can do a trip over the weekend of La Marmotte for 40 quid return!!!!

(If time isn't an issue I usually go Zebrugge to Hull. This usually involves a few days riding the cobbled Bergs in Flanders, a visit to Freddie Maertens' museum, Moule Frites and drinking strong Belgian lagers :lol: )
  • Fat Head wrote:
    it is cheaper to put the bikes on a bike rack on the back of the car rather than on a roofrack mounted system as it can be lowered to get under the 6 foot or whatever it is height limit

bon voyage
    Our experience with Sea France (running Dover Calais) was different. They didn't change the price for having roof mounted bike on the top of a Zafira.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    edited December 2007
    I have had problems with speedferries before. They are a bit like Easyjet - if it works, great, but if there are problems it can be difficult.

I always use the tunnel, yes it is expensive but not hugely so and the service is second to none imho. that is without a roofrack though, i don't know what their policy is on that.
    <a>road</a>
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    I have had problems with speedferries before. They are a bit like Easyjet - if it works, great, but if there are problems it can be difficult.

I always use the tunnel, yes it is expensive but not hugely so and the service is second to none imho. that is without a roofrack though, i don't know what their policy is on that.
    I've used the tunnel when having the bikes on a towbar mounted rack,& a roofbox up top.The box just cleared to go on a normal,double decker carriage,but i think any higher then they must put you in a similar carriage to the coaches
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    No difference in the cost, you just go in the tall carriages with the coaches and motorhomes.
  • renard
    renard Posts: 51
    I've used Eurotunnel with bikes for the last two years without any problems.

Last year I had two bikes on a roof rack and two on a tow bar carrier.

I don't think you pay any extra.

They are very convenient - frequent crossings - we missed our crossing back due to queues on the French autoroutes, but no problem just caught the next one 20 minutes later.

No sea sickness either!
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    It doesn't really matter. Dover is normally the choice here, but the port choice in France/Belgium is not that significant.

I usually choose Speedferries as they are the cheapest and quicket, but over new year I went the slower P&O route on the way out and Seafrance on the way back, no problems with either.

And once in France, just hit the autoroute and you are away.
  • clanton
    Thanks for all the replies and info - very useful stuff! Leaning towards the Chunnel currently as more options re times and less likelihood of getting cancelled!
  • They all tend to charge extra if your bike is on a rear mounted carrier but not if they are on the roof.

I have been to France the past 3 years and only got charged extra this year £14.00 as I had stuck my kids tag along on the rear carrier wheras I usually have everytthing on the roof.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • streaky
    streaky Posts: 53
    Hi, I use the Thule pro system as my roof rack...excellent, highky recommend it.

I also use sea france dover to calais when I do Tour of Flanders...never had to pay extra for bikes on roof.

Safe riding buddy.