Help with frame sizing ? both size's fit me.

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited December 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Decided on the bike i'm getting, a Trek EX9. Sat on a 17.5" and I thought it felt a little to big so presumed I needed the 15.5" test rode the 15.5" and it felt ok but I did feel a bit cramped (reach wise) so decided to go back to the shop and ride the 15.5" and the 17.5" back to back and the 17.5" feels more comfortable (reach wise). Obviously I have got more clearance on the smaller one but I still do have maybe an inch clearance on the larger one. Should I just forget size's, clearance and all that and get the one which rides more comfortable ? I am also worried the larger one will look too big, although the guy in the shop said that the 15.5" dosen't look to small and the 17.5" doesn't look to big.

See my dilema :roll: either i'm an awkward height or the Trek's make funny size frames :lol: It's alot of money so I want to be completley happy with which one I buy.

I'm 5'5" - 5'6"(without shoes) inside leg is about 30" ish

The only differances between the sizes are,

Top Tube 55.3 cm vs 59.1 cm
Wheel Base 105.7 cm vs 109.6 cm
Actual Frame Size 39.4 cm vs 41.9 cm
Stand Over 71.0 cm vs 72.0 cm
Seat Tube 39.4 cm/15.5" vs 41.9 cm/16.5"
Head Tube 9.0 cm vs 10.5 cm

There's not alot in them, what do you think ?

Simon.

Comments

• For X-C riding id recomment the 18 inch frame beecuase there easier to ride and depending on your size should be more confortable
    Specialized Enduro SL Expert 2008
  • s1mon
    recomment the 18 inch frame
    They don't do an 18" only 17.5" or the next one is 18.5" :?

Simon.
  • I would go with the 17.5 as you already stated the 15.5 felt a bit cramped, don't forget if you go for the bigger one it is easier to bring things in a bit to feel less streched ie an inline seatpost and shorter stem rather than trying to lengthen a too small bike with a long stem or saddle way back, also a shorter stem brings many handling benefits. what it looks like would be my least concern as 1cm difference in standover will not make a vast amount of difference.
  • s1mon
    Hi,

Decided to get the 17.5" 8) and now I want to go out riding asap :lol:

Simon.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I think you made right choice. Reach is more important than top tube clearance for me.

Will you come back and let us know how the bike rides in a while, I had a quick spin on one at the cycle show and it was quite impressive - so I'd like to hear what an owner's verdict is.